Robyn Minter Smyers
Robyn is a member of Thompson Hine’s Executive Committee, as well as the former Cleveland office Partner-in-Charge, and the former chair of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Initiative. She is a partner in the firm's Real Estate, Construction and Corporate Transactions & Securities practice groups. She focuses her practice on commercial real estate acquisitions and sales, development, financing, leasing and corporate transactions. Robyn regularly represents and advises real estate investment trusts (REITs), real estate investment funds, public and private real estate development companies, commercial lenders, retailers and other corporations. The coordination of complex transactions, including ground-up development deals and multi-site, multi-state acquisitions and divestitures, are her forte. Her practice has a particular focus on shopping center deals, urban redevelopment projects, manufacturing plant development, hospitality projects and public-private-partnership (P3) transactions. Her practice also focuses on counseling corporations on real estate strategies, dispositions of environmentally contaminated assets, facilities management and domestic sourcing and procurement transactions.
In 1995, Robyn clerked for Justice Albie Sachs on the Constitutional Court of South Africa. From 1991 to 1992, she was a Benjamin Trustman Traveling Fellow in South Africa, where she worked for Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
- Counsel to Cuyahoga County on negotiation of hotel management agreement for the $270 million Hilton Cleveland Downtown convention center hotel.
- Counsel to non-profit developer on real estate and utilities matters in connection with the redevelopment of Cleveland’s Public Square.
- Representation of a municipality in the sale of property in a mixed use development district, including the negotiation of a purchase and development & use agreement with a private developer.
- Representation of a municipality in connection with the development of a community recreation center, including drafting of zoning ordinance revisions.
- Counsel to NYSE-listed real estate company in the ground-up development of a community shopping center, including negotiating site development agreements with multiple national retailers and drafting development agreements with a municipality regarding tax increment financing.
- Counsel to a private real estate company in the redevelopment of a shopping center financed with leveraged New Markets Tax Credits.
- Representation of a global manufacturing company in connection with the sale and separation of operating plants, including negotiating complex plant separation agreements and reciprocal easements.
- Counsel to a global chemical company in connection with the sale of environmentally contaminated legacy properties, including the negotiation of clean-up obligations, indemnities and post-closing access rights.
- Representation of an institutional lender in the sourcing of leasing and property management functions for more than 400 properties.
- Representation of a global chemical company in the drafting and negotiation of warehouse and logistics agreements (3PLs), supply agreements, license agreements, capital equipment procurement agreements and other domestic sourcing agreements.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed lodging REIT in the restructuring of a $400 million hotel lease portfolio.
- Representation of a private hotel developer in the workout and subsequent re-financing of a hotel in Chicago.
- Representation of joint venture in the acquisition, financing and sale of office and industrial properties, including the negotiation of joint venture agreements.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed REIT in the $125 million acquisition of a shopping center.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed REIT in the $350 million acquisition of a portfolio of department stores with a lease-back to the department store.
- Representation of a real estate private equity fund in over $350 million of acquisitions.
- Representation of a private developer in the $750 million sale of nine regional shopping centers.
- Representation of a private developer in the preparation of a portfolio of 21 shopping centers for sale.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed REIT in connection with dispositions of shopping center portfolios, single shopping centers, single-tenant assets and outparcels.
- Representation of non-profit developer of affordable housing financed with low income housing tax credits, historic tax credits and HOPE VI funds.
- Representation of a NYSE-listed REIT in connection with the acquisition of numerous shopping centers involving CMBS loan and life company loan assumptions.
- Representation of a leading global investment bank on commercial loans, including whole loans, mezzanine loans and bridge loans.
- Representation of NYSE-listed bank and a regional mutual bank on commercial loan transactions.
- Representation of a private developer in connection with the formation of a real estate private equity fund.
- "High Noon in Public Housing: The Showdown Between Due Process Rights and Good Management Practices," The Urban Lawyer, Summer 1998
- "Remaking the Past: The Storytelling Tradition in Contemporary Black Art," The International Review of African American Art, Fall 2000
- "Gallery Celebrates Anniversary with WPA Show," The International Review of African American Art, 2001
- "A Museum Grows in Brooklyn," The International Review of African American Art, 2001
- “Engaging the Community, Inspiring Change: The African-American Philanthropy Summit,” Kaleidoscope Magazine, 2014
Real Estate/Legal Topics
- “Tips and Traps: Navigating Loan Assumptions in Today’s Choppy Waters,” ICSC OH,KY,IN,MI,PA Retail Development & Law Symposium, Columbus, March 2018
- “Cleveland on the Rise: Public and Private Financing Tools for Development Projects,” Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, November 2014
- “Baskets, Floors and Ceilings, Are We Negotiating a Deal or Decorating a House?: Key Negotiating Points in Shopping Center Purchase Agreements,” ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2014
- "Going Once, Going Twice...Selling Real Estate at Auction," ULI Cleveland, Cleveland, March 2013
- "Going Once, Going Twice...Sold – But What Did You Just Buy? Issues in Auctions and Distressed Asset Sales," ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2013
- "Going Once, Going Twice...Auctions and "Loan-to-Own" Acquisition Strategies – Gambling or Smart Investing?", ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2012
- "TechnologyforLawyers.com," ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2011
- "Outparcels: Basics and Beyond," ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, San Diego, January 2008
- "The In's and Out's of Outparcels," ICSC U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, October 2006
- "Minimizing Pain, Maximizing Gain: Selling Shopping Center Outlots and Excess Land," ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, April 2005
- "Basic Real Estate Transactions," Professional Education Systems Institute, Cleveland, March 2005
- "Real Estate Lending Requirements and Loan Documentation in Ohio," Lorman Education Services, Cleveland, September 2004
- "Leasing Basics - Pitfalls in Boilerplate," ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan Retail Development and Law Symposium, Columbus, Ohio, March 2007
- “A Celebration of Women’s Leadership,” Flora Stone Mather Center for Woman at Case Western Reserve University, March 2018
- “Carry As You Climb,” Thompson Hine's Spotlight on Women, March 2018
- “Carry As You Climb,” CBRE Cleveland and E&Y Cleveland – Professional Women’s Network Event, January 2018
- “Executive Speaker Series,” Friends of the Cleveland Public Library, September 2015
- “Women of Note,” Sound of Ideas on Ideastream, July 2015
- “Leadership and The Next Generation,” Crain’s Women of Note Summit, July 2015
- “Women of Excellence,” Executive Caterers Corporate Club, March 2015
- Reflections on “Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg,” Women in Leadership Symposium, September 2013
- "Visiting Museums with Kids," Warner Girls' Leadership Academy, Cleveland, February 2013
- "Leading with Confidence," Warner Girls' Leadership Academy, Cleveland, January 2013
- "Tips for Success," WMACCA Diversity Reception, Washington, DC, May 2012
- "Impactful Diversity Strategies," Eaton Vehicle Group Global Diversity Conference, Cleveland, December 2011
- "Pipeline to Leadership," 21st Century Leadership Forum, Cleveland, June 2010
- "The Next Big Thing, a New Vision for the Region," Thompson Hine's Spotlight on Women, Cleveland, May 2010
- "What Partners Can Do to Keep Minorities and Women in Their Law Firms," CSU Third Annual Diversity Management Conference, Cleveland, May 2010
- "Embarking on a Diversity/Inclusion Initiative," Invacare Diversity Council, Cleveland, April 2010
- "Managing Life, Work and Family ... Dispelling the Myth of the Superwoman," 8th Annual Women of Color Conference, University of Akron, April 2010
- "Work/Life Demands - Striking a Balance," Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce/KNOW Meeting, Akron, Ohio, July 2008
- Named to the 2018 Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America list
- YWCA Greater Cleveland Woman of Achievement Award, 2016
- Listed in “The Power 100 – Northeast Ohio’s Most Influential CEOs, Politicians & Civic Leaders,” Community Leader magazine
- Del de Windt Leadership Award for Civic Engagement, The First Tee of Cleveland, December 2015
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Business "Women of Note," 2015
- Listed in Savoy magazine’s “Most Influential Black Lawyers,” 2015 and 2018
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, Ohio, 2016 and 2017
- Inside Business "2014 Power 100 List," the 100 individuals who most influence Northeast Ohio's economy
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Business "Who to Watch in Law," 2014
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 to 2019
- Listed in Legal 500 in Real Estate, 2014 to 2017
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2013, 2016-2018
- National Diversity Council, Ohio Leadership Excellence Award Winner, 2013
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star Honoree, 2007 and 2009
- YWCA Greater Cleveland Woman of Professional Excellence Award, 2006
- Kaleidoscope Magazine 40/40 Club, member, Class of 2003
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), member, 2013 to present
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), member
- ICSC Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Pennsylvania Retail Development & Law Symposium Planning Committee, member, 2007 to present; co-chair, 2012; lead co-chair, 2013
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, member
- City Club of Cleveland, board member, 2010 to present
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio, board member, 2009 to present
- The Codrington Foundation, board member, 2016 to present
- The George Gund Foundation, board member, 2012 to 2017
- Cleveland Foundation African-American Philanthropy Committee, member, 2012 to present
- Center for Population Dynamics, Cleveland State University, 2015 to present
- Museum of Contemporary Art - Cleveland (MOCA), board member, 2010 to 2017
- Leadership Cleveland, member, Class of 2016
- The Sherwick Fund, board member, 2012 to 2015
- Levin College of Urban Affairs, Cleveland State University, member, Advisory Committee to Albert A. Levin Chair of Urban Studies, 2001 to 2011
- Shaker Heights Economic Development Task Force (previously Economic Development Committee), citizen member, 2001 to 2011
- Campaign for Issue 6 (Cuyahoga County Reform), co-chair, 2009
- Cleveland Housing Network, Inc., secretary and board member, 2001 to 2006
- Cleveland Bridge Builders, member, Class of 2003
- Karamu House Inc., board member, 2001 to 2003
June 01, 2018
November 02, 2017
August 17, 2016
July 27, 2015
July 11, 2015
The Legal 500 U.S. Recognizes Several Thompson Hine Practices, Lawyers - Firm's Construction, Corporate, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Real Estate and Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practices Receive National Acclaim
July 06, 2015
Savoy Magazine’s 2015 Most Influential Black LawyersSavoy Magazine
March 07, 2015
January 08, 2015
Thompson Hine Taps Robyn Minter Smyers to Head Cleveland Office Thompson Hin LLP
November 03, 2014
Robyn Minter Smyers is leading the charge at the Cleveland office of Thompson Hine LLPCrain's Cleveland Business
November 02, 2014
Robyn Minter Smyers Featured in “Who to Watch in Law”Crain's Cleveland Business
June 22, 2014
April 30, 2013
Thompson Hine First Law Firm to Receive LLI Volunteer Award - Firm Recognized for Supporting Internship Program
June 21, 2011