Stephen B. Schrock
Steve is a partner in the Real Estate practice group and is based in the Atlanta office. With decades of experience and a reasonable, cost-effective, get the deal done approach, Steve works closely with clients in all aspects of a commercial real estate transaction.
As a nationally recognized practitioner in timberland investment transactions, Steve heads up our multidisciplinary timber law team that includes real estate, finance, litigation, environmental, corporate and tax lawyers. The timber law team focuses on often complex and large timberland deals throughout the United States, South America and other countries representing the owner, investment manager, forest-product company or lender.
Steve also works with owners, developers, managers, governmental authorities and lenders in the development, management, leasing, purchase and sale of commercial real estate, including office, multi-family, hotels, industrial, single-family housing and subdivisions, mixed-use, health care, mining and minerals and corporate-owned real estate.
For underperforming or distressed properties, Steve gets energetically involved in loan work-out and restructuring negotiations, which may result in foreclosure or the sale of the indebtedness and loan documents. He also assists investors and special asset managers in the purchase or sale of a distressed single-asset property or a portfolio of distressed properties.
Finally, he is active in the biomass and solar alternative energy industries, representing developers and lenders of wood pellet biomass facilities and solar energy farms. These two industries each produce a sustainable and environmentally-friendly fuel source that is an alternative to non-renewable fossil fuel for electric power generation and consumption in the United States and other countries.
A sampling of Steve’s most recent experience includes representation of:
- An international food storage and handling company in the development and construction of a state-of-the-art temperature-controlled import/export warehouse and distribution center at the Port of Houston.
- A national homebuilder in all phases of the purchase of several Georgia single-family developments from contract negotiation and execution, due diligence, homeowner association and declaration matters to the closing of all the land or the take-down of the land by lot(s).
- A multi-family housing borrower in connection with mezzanine and construction loan financing for an apartment development in Irvine, California.
- A multi-family investor in the purchase of several apartment projects in Georgia and North Carolina.
- A Timberland REIT listed on the NYSE in the acquisition, management and sale of approximately 500,000 acres of timberland located in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas.
- A German Timberland fund in the sale of several thousand acres of timberland in Florida.
- A U.S. based Timberland Investment Management Fund in the sale of several thousand acres of timberland in Florida.
- A U.K. based Timberland Investment Management Fund in the sale of several thousand acres of timberland in Florida and Georgia.
- Several developers and investor of woody biomass pellet facilities in the Southeastern U.S.
- Georgia Forestry Association's 2014 Annual Conference & Expo, July 2014
- Pellet Trade & Transport Summit, February 2014
- Financing Renewable Energy Projects, February 2013
- Panelist, Legal Issues Forum, National Conference of Private Forest Landowners, May 2012
- UGA’s 2011 Timberland Investment Conference, March 2011
- “Missed Opportunities and Common Mistakes: Legal Perspectives on Timberland Ownership,” 2010 Forest Landowners Association National Meeting
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2017 and 2018
- Named in The Legal 500 U.S., 2007, 2008 and 2011, 2015, 2016 (Real Estate)
- Selected in the 2010 Corporate Counsel edition as a “Georgia Real Estate Super Lawyer”
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®, 2006-2009 (Atlanta – Real Estate)
- Atlanta Bar Association – Real Property Section
- Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of the Southeast
- Cobb County Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Cobb Class of 2002
- Forest Landowners Association, Inc.
- Georgia Forestry Association
- German America Chamber of Commerce of the Southern United States
- State Bar of Georgia – Real Property Section
The Legal 500 U.S. Recognizes Several Thompson Hine Practices, Lawyers - Firm's Construction, Corporate, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Real Estate and Business Restructuring & Bankruptcy Practices Receive National Acclaim
July 06, 2015
Stephen B. Schrock and Christine N. Schneider Join Thompson Hine in Atlanta - Firm Expands Southeast Real Estate Practice
January 29, 2015