J.A. has substantial experience handling complex business litigation and post-employment obligations. J.A. routinely advises clients on litigation and risks relating to covenants not to compete, nonsolicitation agreements, trade secret protection and other post employment obligations. J.A. also counsels clients on general commercial, employment, and separation agreement drafting and review. J.A. advises and represents a wide range of clients from small privately held to large multinational companies. His experience includes:
- Obtaining and defending TRO's and injunctions relating to covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements and confidentiality and nondisclosure provisions, and misappropriation and misuse of trade secrets
- Drafting and review of covenants not to compete and nonsolicitation agreements
- Executive employment separations
- Breach of contract/business torts
- Partnership and business divorce
- ADR, including arbitration and mediation
- Challenges to condemnation awards
- Challenges to administrative decisions
Outside of his law practice, J.A. is actively involved in public service and volunteers as a high school hockey coach in Forsyth County, Georgia, winning the AA Georgia Student Hockey League State Championship in 2016. Before his law career, he played minor professional hockey in the East Coast Hockey League and Central Hockey League, and served as the assistant general manager of the Columbus Cottonmouths Professional Hockey Club.
- Obtained emergency TRO and interlocutory injunction prohibiting sale of competitive products on behalf of client.
- Obtained 60-day emergency TRO prohibiting misuse of trade secrets in absence of restrictive covenants in Hall County, Georgia leading to favorable settlement including payment of client’s attorneys’ fees and return of all confidential information.
- Obtained TRO against out of state former employee in DeKalb County, GA enforcing noncompete agreement leading to settlement including injunctive relief enforcing agreement.
- Obtained emergency temporary restraining order prohibiting further fraudulent transfers and dissipation of funds leading to $2 million settlement of judgment in state and federal court litigation in Fulton County and Northern District of Georgia.
- Obtained series of restraining orders, injunctions, and attorney fee payments on behalf of major telecommunications company against group of former employees to enforce non-solicitation covenants and recovery of confidential client lists in Cobb, Fulton, Clayton, and Bibb County, Georgia.
- Obtained an emergency injunctive relief on behalf of client enforcing covenant not to compete, and nonsolicitation and confidentiality provisions under new Georgia restrictive covenant law.
- Obtained injunctive relief enforcing nationwide covenant not to compete against former sales strategy director in Cobb County, Georgia.
- Negotiated payout of over 75 cents on the dollar on high six-figure receivable highly contested by the payor who had significant counterclaims without filing lawsuit.
- Obtained and collected award of all damages, plus attorney’s fees, interest, and punitive damages in construction case where general counsel failed to pay subcontractors.
- Successfully represented and argued on behalf of petition for psychologist on waiver before Board of Psychological Examiners leading to licensure after previous denial of application.
- Obtained favorable settlement in complex business divorce case after expert report and deposing two witnesses.
- Negotiated a favorable six figure settlement over three times offer in Douglas County condemnation action filed by Georgia Department of Transportation.
- Successfully briefed summary judgment motion on novel issues of law and defeated spoliation claims by plaintiffs in Southern District of New York on behalf of an auto manufacturer in a lawsuit brought by former franchisee.
- Obtained writ of possession and six-figure consent judgment for past due and future rents on behalf of commercial landlord in Dekalb County, Georgia.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of less than 20 cents on the dollar on default judgment in Fulton County, Georgia.
- Mediated over 100 landlord/tenant cases in Fulton State/Magistrate Court.
- Obtained excess judgment for a pro bono client relating to fraudulent inducement relating to purchase of vehicle.
- Obtained complete dismissal of $125,000 fine imposed by Georgia state regulatory agency against client.
- Argued pro bono habeas petition based on Miller v. Alabama before Virginia Supreme Court.
- Selected as a Rising Star by Georgia Super Lawyers magazine in 2014
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia State University Panther Athletic Club, Board of Directors, 2011 to present
- Georgia State University Athletics Association, Board of Trustees, 2008 to 2011
- Head Coach, Forsyth County High School Hockey Club, 2013 – Present
Thompson Hine Elects New PartnersThompson Hine LLP
January 09, 2018
Ten Thompson Hine Lawyers Recognized by Georgia Super LawyersThompson Hine LLP
February 20, 2014