Jessica E. Salisbury-Copper
As a member of the business litigation and product liability litigation practice groups, Jessica’s practice includes a variety of complex commercial litigation matters including business torts, contract disputes, and alternative dispute resolution with a particular emphasis in consumer financial services and product liability litigation.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Jessica served as a judicial attorney for the Honorable Frank D. Celebrezze, Jr. in Ohio’s Eighth District Court of Appeals.
Jessica is admitted to practice in the state of Ohio, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented financial institutions and mortgage servicers, both in individual and class in actions, in a variety of cases arising under Ohio’s Uniform Commercial Code, the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Retail Installment Sales Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and the Truth In Lending Act.
- Represented purchasers, suppliers and manufacturers in product liability and breach of warranty actions.
- Represented various corporations in complex contractual disputes.
- Defense of large manufacturer of construction-related products in various product liability actions.
- Routine representation and counseling of mental health organization regarding privacy and privilege issues, including response to and opposition of requests for information and subpoenas.
- Routine representation of landlords in residential leasing disputes and eviction actions.
- Deutsche Bank National Trust Co. v. Orlando Carter, 2014-Ohio-5193, Ohio 12th Dist. Court of Appeals (affirming a decision in favor of residential mortgagee and holding that mortgagee demonstrated its standing to foreclose by proving its interest in the note and mortgage).
- Lorin Buckner v. Washington Mutual Bank, 2014-Ohio-5189, Ohio 12th Dist. Court of Appeals (affirming summary judgment for Lender because borrower’s civil claims were barred by the res judicata effect of a prior foreclosure judgment).
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Daria Sneed Hammond, 2014-Ohio-5270, Ohio 8th Dist. Court of Appeals (affirming summary judgment in favor of Lender and holding that Lender demonstrated its standing to foreclose).
- Fed. Home Loan Mtge. Corp. v. Trissell, 2014-Ohio-1537, Ohio 2nd Dist. Court of Appeals (assignment of mortgage gives rise to presumption of assignment of note).
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Goebel, 2014-Ohio-472, Ohio 2nd Dist. Court of Appeals (compliance with face-to-face requirements for FHA mortgages).
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Gerst, 2014-Ohio-80, Ohio 5th Dist. Court of Appeals (compliance with face-to-face requirements for FHA mortgages).
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. as Trustee for WaMu Mortgage Pass Through Certificates Series 2005-PR2 Trust v. Reaves, 2014-Ohio-3556, Ohio 12th Dist. Court of Appeals (allegations of complaint are deemed to be true when borrowers fail to respond to complaint obviating any challenge the borrowers attempt to make to summary judgment evidence on those allegations).
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Heimbaugh, 2014-Ohio-4637, Ohio 6th Dist. Court of Appeals (court does not abuse its discretion in granting default judgment against borrowers when documents demonstrating bank’s standing to foreclose were attached to the complaint and the bank’s compliance with conditions precedent was admitted by the borrowers’ failure to file an answer).
- Everbank v. Vanarnhem, 2013-Ohio-3872, Ohio 3rd Dist. Court of Appeals (standards for excusable neglect).
- U.S. Bank National Association v. Stanze, 2013-Ohio-2474, Ohio 2nd Dist. Court of Appeals (waiver of defense based on HUD's face-to-face regulation).
- Flagstar Bank, F.S.B. v. Cintron, 2012-Ohio-5914, Ohio 2nd Dist. Court of Appeals (right of recission under Truth-In-Lending Act).
- Casenote: State of Ohio v. Tooley, 34 Ohio N.U.L. Rev. 1025 , 2008
- "Final Appealable Orders," Dayton Bar Association Bar Briefs, April 2011
- Madden v. Midland and Related Issues, OSBA Banking Law Institute, November 2016
- The FDCPA and Updates in FDCPA Litigation, American Bar Association Consumer Financial Services Committee, September 2016 (Boston, MA)
- "Final Appealable Order: An Update," Dayton Bar Association Appellate Practice Committee, April 2012
- "Final Appealable Orders," Dayton Bar Association Appellate Practice Committee CLE, December 2011
- Selected for inclusion in Rising Stars by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2014 to 2018
- American Bar Association, Consumer Financial Services Committee, Young Lawyer Liaison to the Litigation and Arbitration Subcommittee
- Dayton Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Former Chair of the Community Service Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Former CLE Chair, Dayton Chapter
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member of the Litigation Section, Women in the Profession Section, Banking, Commercial & Bankruptcy Law Committee and Federal Courts & Practice Committee
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Miami Valley Associate Board Member, Vice Chair
- Generation Dayton, Former member
- Dayton Chapter of the American Red Cross, Associate Board, Former member and Chair of the Logistics Committee