Practice Group Leader, Labor & Employment
Cincinnati Co-Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
Stephen is the leader of the firm's Labor & Employment practice group. He counsels employers regarding all aspects of labor and employment practices.
Prior to joining the firm, Stephen was a law clerk for the Honorable S. Arthur Spiegel, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
- Represented employers in significant class action lawsuits in federal court, including Fair Labor Standards Act, age discrimination and ERISA, national origin discrimination, WARN Act, and race discrimination.
- Represented employers and individuals in cases involving the enforcement of non-compete agreements and trade secrets violations.
- Represented employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the state Civil Rights Commissions.
- Defended employers in civil suits alleging discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge and intentional tort claims.
- Represented employers before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Counseled employers throughout union organizing campaigns.
- Aided employers in the conduct of campaigns to decertify unions.
- Developed human resources policies for employers, including creation of employee handbooks and other policy statements.
- Conducted training for management and supervisors in areas including anti-discrimination and harassment policies, hiring and termination practices, Family and Medical Leave Act, union avoidance and other employment related areas.
- Gibbs v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 60 F. Supp. 3d 780 (E.D. Mi. 2014) (Partial summary judgment, followed by defense verdict at trial).
- Muffley v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 906 F. Supp. 2d 667 (W.D. Ky, 2012) (Obtained dismissal of Section 10(j) action); affirmed No. 12-6628 (6th Cir., 2014).
- Schrack v. R+L Carriers, Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 84171 (S.D. Ohio 2012) (Defense verdict at jury trial on claims of FMLA and disability discrimination).
- Hearron v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 2010 US. Dist. LEXIS 125655 (D. Kan., 2011) (Summary Judgment in race, sex and gender discrimination case), affirmed 483 Fed. Appx. 453; 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 10486.
- Bender v. Newell Window Furnishings, 725 F.Supp. 2nd 642 (W.D. Mich., 2010) (ERISA Class Action).
- Meade v. Honda of America Mfg., Inc., et al., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17145 (S.D. Ohio) (Feb. 2009) (sexual harassment and COBRA).
- Lantech.Com v. Yarbrough, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 82970 (W.D. Ky., Oct. 2006) (non-compete/trade secrets), affirmed 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 22163 (6th Cir.).
- Craig v. Continental P.E.T. Technologies, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 70287 (E.D. Ky., Sept. 2006) (age, gender and disability discrimination).
- Seiter v. DHL Worldwide Express, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59546 (E.D. Ky., Aug. 2006) (pregnancy discrimination).
- Noe v. PolyOne, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 92098 (W.D. Ky) (union contract retiree benefits).
- Ramsey v. Formica Corporation, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9558, 33 Emp. Ben. Cases (BNA) 1095 (S.D. Ohio 2004), affirmed 398 F.3d 421 (ERISA); cert. denied, 546 U.S. 815 (2005).
- D.E.I., Inc. v. Ohio & Vicinity Reg'l Council of Carpenters, 2004 U.S. Dis. LEXIS 886 (N.D. Ohio 2004) (union contract).
- Cervantes v. Sugar Creek Packing Co., 210 F.R.D. 611 (S.D. Ohio 2000).
- Shepherd v. Babcock & Wilcox of Ohio, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6349 (S.D. Ohio 1998) (age discrimination/ERISA).
- “Massachusetts Court Finds Medical Marijuana Use May Constitute Reasonable Accommodation,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, July 2017
- “Federal Judge Enjoins New FLSA Overtime Regulations.” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Supreme Court to Hear Transgender Bathroom Case,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Reminder: FLSA Overtime Rule Effective December 1,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, October 2016
- “Final Overtime Rule Increases Minimum Exempt Salary to $47,476 Effective Dec. 1, 2016,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2016
- “Federal Judge Enjoins DOL Persuader Regulations,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- “Medical Marijuana Legal in Ohio: What Do Employers Do Now?”, Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- “Final Overtime Rule Increases Exempt Salary to $47,476 Effective Dec. 1, 2016,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, May 2016
- “DOL Reduces Overtime Threshold to $47,000,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, May 2016
- “The Impact of Obergefell on Workers’ Compensation,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Summer 2015
- “DOL: Most Workers Are Employees Under FLSA,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, July 2015
- “New York To Implement Accelerated Adjudication Option,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, May 2014
- Quoted, "NSFW: You can’t afford to ignore it,” Cincinnati Business Courier, April 18, 2014
- "SOX Protection Expanded to Contractor’s Employees Who “Blow the Whistle” on Contractor’s Publicly Held Clients," Labor & Employment @lert, March 2014
- "NLRB Resurrects 'Ambush' Union Election Rules," Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, February 2014
- "DOL FMLA Changes: For Employers, A Mixed Bag," Employment Law 360, February 2008
- "Employers, Owners Bear Burden of Enforcing Smoking Ban," Cincinnati Business Courier, December 2006
- "Tailor Non-Competes to a T," HR Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 9, September 2006
- "Survey: How Recent Kentucky Courts are Applying the Retaliation Claim in Employment Cases (with Faith C. Isenhath)," Northern Kentucky Law Review, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2006
- "Employers' Responsibilities and Duties to Today's Citizen Soldier," Cincinnati Bar Association Report
- "Employers' Responsibilities and Duties to Today's Citizen Soldier," Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 4, Spring 2004
- "Episcopal Retirement Homes, Inc. v. Ohio Dept. Of Industrial Relations; Judicial Rehearing in the Ohio Supreme Court," Northern Kentucky Law Review, 1992
- “Criminal Background Checks and Other Legal Considerations in Hiring,” Webinar, March 2013
- "Online Social Networking: Risks, Benefits and Practical Considerations," Lorman Educational Services, March 2011
- "Discrimination and Harassment," Formica Executive Committee, March 2011
- "Online Social Networking," Butler/Warren Human Resources Association, March 2010
- "Online Social Networking," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association, November 2009
- Online Social Networking," webinar, September 2009
- "Employment Law Update," Pro Mach HR Conference, October 2008
- "Wage & Hour Issues," Human Resources Assn. of S.W. Ohio, October 2008
- "Wage & Hour Update," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association, September 2008
- "Seven Deadly Wage/Hour Mistakes," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2008
- "Wage & Hour Update," Cincinnati Bar Association Corporate Counsel Committee, May 8, 2008
- "What to Do When a Key Employee Departs," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2008
- "Identifying Wage/Hour Issues," Pro Mach HR Conference, October 2007
- "Are You the Next Wage/Hour Class Action?", Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2007
- "Avoiding Wage/Hour Class Actions," Cincinnati Time Recorders Annual Seminar, May 2007
- "Evaluating Candidates with Non-Compete Agreements, Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association," November 2006
- "Are Medical Absences Making You Sick? Exploring the Interplay Between FMLA, ADA, PDA and Workers' Comp.," ProMach HR Conference, September 2006
- "Are Medical Absences Making You Sick? Exploring the Interplay Between FMLA, ADA, PDA and Workers' Comp.," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2006
- "Union Avoidance," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association HR Academy, March 2006
- "Workplace Violence," May 2005
- "Exempt or Non-exempt," May 2005
- "Changes to 'White Collar' Regulations," September 2004
- "Workplace Violence," September 2004
- "Non-Compete Agreements and Injunctive Relief," April 2004
- "ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation," February 2004
- "Avoiding Liability in Hiring and Firing," September 2003
- "Proposed Changes to FLSA," June 2003
- "Best Practice in FMLA Administration," January 2003
- "Managing Employee Relationships in Ohio," September 2002
- "New Millennium Employment Strategies," May 2002
- Ohio Public Employment Law Conference, April 2002
- "Disability Discrimination," March 2002
- "FMLA - The Good, Bad and Ugly," May 2002
- "Wage and Hour Law Update," February 2001
- "Treating Employees with Dignity and Respect," February 2001
- "Family and Medical Leave Act in Ohio," April 2001
- "How to Avoid Liability When Hiring and Firing," March 2000
- ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation Seminar, June 2000
- "Buying and Selling a Business in Ohio," July 2000
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 to 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers America, 2012 to 2018
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Employment Law Group
- Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association
- Federal Bar Association, Executive Committee (former)
- Potter Stewart Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, mediator
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Local Rules Committee (former)
- BRIDGES for a Just Community, Board of Directors
- Children's Meeting House Montessori School, adviser to Board of Trustees
- Leadership Cincinnati USA Program, participant
December 06, 2017
February 22, 2017
December 09, 2015