Cincinnati Co-Chair, Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
Steve started his career as a teacher. He was a member of the National Education Association, the American Federation of Teachers and the American Montessori Society. After graduation from night law school in 1993, he clerked for the Honorable S. Arthur Spiegel, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio. Since 1995 he has practiced mediation and labor & employment law at Thompson Hine.
- Court ordered Mediator for the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
- Court ordered Mediator for the Hamilton County, Ohio, Court of Common Pleas.
- Mediated litigation cases as a client representative before state and federal courts, the EEOC and the NLRB.
- Local Rules Committee, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio.
- Chair, ADR Committee, Cincinnati Bar Association
- Gibbs v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 60 F. Supp. 3d 780 (E.D. Mi. 2014) (Partial summary judgment, followed by defense verdict at trial).
- Muffley v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 906 F. Supp. 2d 667 (W.D. Ky, 2012) (Obtained dismissal of Section 10(j) action); affirmed No. 12-6628 (6th Cir., 2014).
- Schrack v. R+L Carriers, Inc., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 84171 (S.D. Ohio 2012) (Defense verdict at jury trial on claims of FMLA and disability discrimination).
- Hearron v. Voith Industrial Services, Inc., 2010 US. Dist. LEXIS 125655 (D. Kan., 2011) (Summary Judgment in race, sex and gender discrimination case), affirmed 483 Fed. Appx. 453; 2012 U.S. App. LEXIS 10486.
- Bender v. Newell Window Furnishings, 725 F.Supp. 2nd 642 (W.D. Mich., 2010) (ERISA Class Action).
- Meade v. Honda of America Mfg., Inc., et al., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17145 (S.D. Ohio) (Feb. 2009) (sexual harassment and COBRA).
- Lantech.Com v. Yarbrough, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 82970 (W.D. Ky., Oct. 2006) (non-compete/trade secrets), affirmed 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 22163 (6th Cir.).
- Craig v. Continental P.E.T. Technologies, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 70287 (E.D. Ky., Sept. 2006) (age, gender and disability discrimination).
- Seiter v. DHL Worldwide Express, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 59546 (E.D. Ky., Aug. 2006) (pregnancy discrimination).
- Noe v. PolyOne, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 92098 (W.D. Ky) (union contract retiree benefits).
- Ramsey v. Formica Corporation, 2004 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 9558, 33 Emp. Ben. Cases (BNA) 1095 (S.D. Ohio 2004), affirmed 398 F.3d 421 (ERISA); cert. denied, 546 U.S. 815 (2005).
- D.E.I., Inc. v. Ohio & Vicinity Reg'l Council of Carpenters, 2004 U.S. Dis. LEXIS 886 (N.D. Ohio 2004) (union contract).
- Cervantes v. Sugar Creek Packing Co., 210 F.R.D. 611 (S.D. Ohio 2000).
- Shepherd v. Babcock & Wilcox of Ohio, 2000 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6349 (S.D. Ohio 1998) (age discrimination/ERISA).
- “Massachusetts Court Finds Medical Marijuana Use May Constitute Reasonable Accommodation,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, July 2017
- “Federal Judge Enjoins New FLSA Overtime Regulations.” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Supreme Court to Hear Transgender Bathroom Case,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, November 2016
- “Reminder: FLSA Overtime Rule Effective December 1,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, October 2016
- “Final Overtime Rule Increases Minimum Exempt Salary to $47,476 Effective Dec. 1, 2016,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2016
- “Federal Judge Enjoins DOL Persuader Regulations,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- “Medical Marijuana Legal in Ohio: What Do Employers Do Now?”, Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, June 2016
- “Final Overtime Rule Increases Exempt Salary to $47,476 Effective Dec. 1, 2016,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, May 2016
- “DOL Reduces Overtime Threshold to $47,000,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, May 2016
- “The Impact of Obergefell on Workers’ Compensation,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Summer 2015
- “DOL: Most Workers Are Employees Under FLSA,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, July 2015
- “New York To Implement Accelerated Adjudication Option,” Thompson Hine Business Litigation Update, May 2014
- Quoted, "NSFW: You can’t afford to ignore it,” Cincinnati Business Courier, April 18, 2014
- "SOX Protection Expanded to Contractor’s Employees Who “Blow the Whistle” on Contractor’s Publicly Held Clients," Labor & Employment @lert, March 2014
- "NLRB Resurrects 'Ambush' Union Election Rules," Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, February 2014
- "DOL FMLA Changes: For Employers, A Mixed Bag," Employment Law 360, February 2008
- "Employers, Owners Bear Burden of Enforcing Smoking Ban," Cincinnati Business Courier, December 2006
- "Tailor Non-Competes to a T," HR Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 9, September 2006
- "Survey: How Recent Kentucky Courts are Applying the Retaliation Claim in Employment Cases (with Faith C. Isenhath)," Northern Kentucky Law Review, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2006
- "Employers' Responsibilities and Duties to Today's Citizen Soldier," Cincinnati Bar Association Report
- "Employers' Responsibilities and Duties to Today's Citizen Soldier," Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 4, Spring 2004
- "Episcopal Retirement Homes, Inc. v. Ohio Dept. Of Industrial Relations; Judicial Rehearing in the Ohio Supreme Court," Northern Kentucky Law Review, 1992
- “Criminal Background Checks and Other Legal Considerations in Hiring,” Webinar, March 2013
- "Online Social Networking: Risks, Benefits and Practical Considerations," Lorman Educational Services, March 2011
- "Discrimination and Harassment," Formica Executive Committee, March 2011
- "Online Social Networking," Butler/Warren Human Resources Association, March 2010
- "Online Social Networking," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association, November 2009
- Online Social Networking," webinar, September 2009
- "Employment Law Update," Pro Mach HR Conference, October 2008
- "Wage & Hour Issues," Human Resources Assn. of S.W. Ohio, October 2008
- "Wage & Hour Update," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association, September 2008
- "Seven Deadly Wage/Hour Mistakes," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2008
- "Wage & Hour Update," Cincinnati Bar Association Corporate Counsel Committee, May 8, 2008
- "What to Do When a Key Employee Departs," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2008
- "Identifying Wage/Hour Issues," Pro Mach HR Conference, October 2007
- "Are You the Next Wage/Hour Class Action?", Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2007
- "Avoiding Wage/Hour Class Actions," Cincinnati Time Recorders Annual Seminar, May 2007
- "Evaluating Candidates with Non-Compete Agreements, Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association," November 2006
- "Are Medical Absences Making You Sick? Exploring the Interplay Between FMLA, ADA, PDA and Workers' Comp.," ProMach HR Conference, September 2006
- "Are Medical Absences Making You Sick? Exploring the Interplay Between FMLA, ADA, PDA and Workers' Comp.," Thompson Hine L&E Annual Seminar, May 2006
- "Union Avoidance," Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association HR Academy, March 2006
- "Workplace Violence," May 2005
- "Exempt or Non-exempt," May 2005
- "Changes to 'White Collar' Regulations," September 2004
- "Workplace Violence," September 2004
- "Non-Compete Agreements and Injunctive Relief," April 2004
- "ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation," February 2004
- "Avoiding Liability in Hiring and Firing," September 2003
- "Proposed Changes to FLSA," June 2003
- "Best Practice in FMLA Administration," January 2003
- "Managing Employee Relationships in Ohio," September 2002
- "New Millennium Employment Strategies," May 2002
- Ohio Public Employment Law Conference, April 2002
- "Disability Discrimination," March 2002
- "FMLA - The Good, Bad and Ugly," May 2002
- "Wage and Hour Law Update," February 2001
- "Treating Employees with Dignity and Respect," February 2001
- "Family and Medical Leave Act in Ohio," April 2001
- "How to Avoid Liability When Hiring and Firing," March 2000
- ADA, FMLA and Workers' Compensation Seminar, June 2000
- "Buying and Selling a Business in Ohio," July 2000
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 to 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers America, 2012 to 2018
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association, ADR and Employment Law Groups, Board of Trustees
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), mediator
- National Arbitration and Mediation (NAM), mediator
- Ohio Mediation Association (OMA), mediator
- Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association
- Federal Bar Association, Executive Committee (former)
- Potter Stewart Inns of Court, Executive Director
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, mediator
- Hamilton County Common Pleas Court, mediator
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Local Rules Committee (former)
- 4C for Children, Board of Directors
- BRIDGES for a Just Community, Board of Directors
- Children's Meeting House Montessori School, adviser to Board of Trustees
- Leadership Cincinnati USA Program, graduate
December 06, 2017
February 22, 2017
December 09, 2015