Donald H. Messinger
Don is a partner in the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group, focusing on matters of public and closely held businesses, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and securities, finance, leveraged buyouts, and nonprofit corporations.
Don has been a member of the firm's Executive Committee and before that served as partner-in-charge of the firm's Cleveland office.
He regularly speaks at seminars and meetings sponsored by various professional and business organizations.
- Actively counsels senior management and owners of several of the firm's major clients. Manages large, complex acquisition, disposition and financing transactions involving multiple operations in the United States and worldwide. Also has represented issuers and underwriters in the public offering of securities.
- Representative transactions have ranged in size from under $10 million to more than $1.3 billion.
- Regularly handles transactions for major publicly owned and privately held businesses, as well as newly emerging businesses, headquartered in North America and Europe.
- Serves and has served as a director and/or officer of several public and private corporations. In these capacities, he serves as a trusted business and legal adviser to many of the firm's clients, as well as to a number of community organizations.
- Served as the court-appointed trustee for the liquidation of a failed broker-dealer.
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Who's Who in America
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America; recognized in 2015 and 2017 as Lawyer of the Year
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine
- Recipient of Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- Recognized by Marquis Who's Who as an Industry Leader
- Recognized by BTI Counseling as a Client Service All-Star
- Recipient of the Jurisprudence Award of ORT America
- Listed in Legal 500 in Merger and Acquisition
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, trustee, 1975 to 1979; chair, Securities Law Institute, 1983
- Circle Health Services (fka The Free Medical Clinic of Greater Cleveland), trustee for life and past president
- Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center, director and past president
- Cleveland POPS Orchestra, chairman of the board
- Senior Citizen Resources, trustee and former officer
- Leadership Cleveland, class co-president
- The Junior League of Cleveland, community adviser
- Buckeye Area Development Corporation, Business Volunteers Unlimited, Colgate University Alumni Corporation, Greater Cleveland Council of Boy Scouts of America, Community Information/Voluntary Action Center, and The University for Young Americans, former trustee and/or officer
- Active participant in community activities as a board member and/or volunteer on state, local and national levels
- Frequently consulted on major community initiatives in the Greater Cleveland area
- Early participant in the actions that led to the development of the Gateway sports complex
- Held major leadership roles on behalf of Cleveland's United Way
- Self-Funded Plans, Inc. - Director and Secretary
- Self-Funded Plans Agency, Inc. - Director and Secretary
- American Steel & Wire Corporation, Cedar Fair Management Company, and Lee Wilson Engineering Co., Inc. - Former Director
Eleven Thompson Hine Partners Named Lawyers of the YearThompson Hine LLP
August 15, 2016
Cleveland Pops Orchestra selects Donald Messinger as board chairman Crain's Cleveland Business
January 22, 2016
Twelve Thompson Hine Partners Named Lawyers of the YearThompson Hine LLP
September 09, 2014
February 10, 2011