Seth A. Litman
Seth is a partner in the firm's Product Liability Litigation, Business Litigation and Life Sciences practice groups. He focuses his practice on product liability and general liability defense, consumer class action defense, commercial litigation and insurance defense. Seth also serves as the external general counsel for an international restaurant company with more than 100 restaurants.
As a seasoned litigator, Seth represents product manufacturers in mass torts and multi-district litigation, with a focus on pharmaceutical, medical device, building product and chemical manufacturers. He has represented such products as diet drugs, anti-constipation medications, latex gloves, statin medications, IUS contraceptives, anti-bleeding medications, contact lenses, anti-nausea medications and a variety of chemicals. Seth also represents retail and other companies in consumer class action cases across the country.
Seth has also represented self-insured corporations and insurers in general liability cases involving allegations of personal injury and property damage, including in cases involving substantial and controversial claims such as traumatically induced exacerbation of multiple sclerosis, and claims involving fire.
As the external general counsel of a restaurant company, Seth oversees the legal issues that arise in the day-to-day operations of the company, assists with the negotiation and drafting of contracts, participates in real estate transactions and assists in managing litigation.
- Defended pharmaceutical company against claims including injuries related to contraceptive device.
- Defended chemical company in claims alleging injuries related to home use chemical product.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in multiple actions alleging injuries arising out of the plaintiffs' use of statin medications, including cases involving liver transplant and rhabdomyolysis.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in an action arising out of plaintiffs' decedent's suicide alleged to be caused by the abuse of ADHD medications.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in more than one hundred national diet medication cases alleging that the medications caused primary pulmonary hypertension and heart valve damage.
- Defended a major medical device manufacturer in multiple cases that were part of a national product liability litigation alleging hypersensitive allergic reactions resulting from the use of latex gloves.
- Defended the manufacturer of a tub grinder in a product liability action brought as a result of severe injuries suffered while operating the equipment.
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer against allegation that its anti-nausea medication caused tardive dyskinesia.
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer against allegation that its anti-nausea medication caused an alteration in the plaintiff's psychological state.
- Defended the manufacturer of gym equipment against allegations of severe injuries caused by a defect in the equipment.
- Defended the manufacturer of dietary supplements against claims that product caused a stroke.
- Defended a manufacturer of hospital equipment against claim that product was defective and failed resulting in serious injuries.
- Successfully managed a team of 30 lawyers, 20 paralegals and 12 nurses in defense of more than 200 diet medication cases filed against a pharmaceutical company in Georgia.
- Obtained summary judgment for a pharmaceutical company against a plaintiff claiming that the company's injectable medication used in cataract surgery was defective and caused injury.
- Defended the manufacturer of an anti-IBS medication against claims that it caused cardiac arrest.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer against plaintiff's claims that its contact lenses were defective resulting in injury to plaintiff's cornea.
Consumer Class Action
- Defended medical record processing company against consumer class action claims alleging excessive fee changes.
- Defended medical record processing company in consumer class action claims alleging statutory violations.
- Defended an insulation installation company against allegations that its failure to warn of fire spread properties of product caused $260 million in additional property damage.
- Defended a corporation and its hirees against claims that they violated their agreements not-to-compete, solicit customers, solicit employees and remove confidential information.
- Prosecuted multiple cases on behalf of employers seeking to enforce non-solicitation and non-compete agreements.
- Prosecuted a case on behalf of shareholders of a staffing company against a shareholder that failed to abide by terms of shareholders' agreement.
- Prosecuted case for misappropriation of trade secrets by a competitor company, including its alteration of marketing materials to misrepresent products and their effectiveness.
- R & R Insulation Services, Inc. v. Royal Indemnity, et al. 307 Ga. App. 419 (2010).
- Abrohams v. Atlantic Mutual Insurance Company, 282 Ga. App. 176 (2006), cert. denied.
- Rodriguez v. Nunez, 252 Ga. App. 56 (2001).
- Dorsey v. Clark Atlanta University, 224 Ga. App. 787 (1997).
- Dorsey v. International Business Machines, 97 F.3d 1469 (11th Cir., 1996).
- Co-author (with Douglas Pearson and Leonard Lescosky), "Avoiding the Jungle: Limiting Exposure for Drugs Made in China," ACC Docket, Association of Corporate Counsel, June 2011
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2016
- Georgia Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Mass Torts Committee
- Cobb County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Washington & Jefferson College Alumni Executive Council