Marcie is an associate in the Corporate Transactions & Securities and International Trade practice groups. She assists businesses with a wide variety of corporate transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, the creation and dissolution of business entities, contract drafting and review, due diligence and disclosure preparation. In addition, Marcie assists clients with domestic and international supply and distribution agreements as well as franchise agreements and disclosure documents.
Marcie draws on her formal training from the International Import Export Institute as well as her experience to advise businesses on various international trade laws and regulations, including the Export Administration Regulations, International Traffic in Arms Regulations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other requirements under the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Marcie also counsels clients in connection with international antibribery and human trafficking laws.
In addition, Marcie is a Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP®) who helps clients develop effective compliance programs. She drafts codes of conduct, performs risk assessments, audits current activities and develops specific policies and procedures tailored to each client’s size and industry.
Prior to practicing law, Marcie worked for Intel Corporation, where she utilized her business skills in operations and project management to improve performance in manufacturing. While at Intel, Marcie learned to cross-utilize resources and worked closely with engineering to maximize quality and output in a fast-paced technical environment.
Examples of Marcie's experience include:
- Performing international compliance audits for both large and small manufacturing companies.
- Developing compliance programs for a variety of businesses and industries.
- Achieving release of export goods from BIS holds.
- Assisting with classification of goods, necessary export licensing and the formation of IC DISC entities.
- Providing guidance on international human trafficking, antibribery and prison labor regulations.
- Providing regulatory guidance pertaining to the used car industry.
- Providing guidance on TILA, Regulation Z and CFPB requirements for the financial industry.
- Qualifying clients to participate in commercial co-ventures and nonprofit operations in all 50 states.
- Registering and filing necessary disclosures according to state and federal requirements for franchisors.
- Drafting various agreements, such as supply, distribution, nondisclosure and software licensing agreements.
- Providing data security guidance pertaining to cloud service agreements under ITAR as well as under FTC standards.
- “U.S. Sanctions on Sudan to Be Removed,” Thompson Hine International Trade Update, October 2017
- "Keeping compliance authority responsible: Settlement of suit vs. MoneyGram’s CCO points to lessons," The Law for Lawyers Today, May 19, 2017
- “Is Your Distribution or License Arrangement a Franchise?” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Spring 2017
- “Corporate ethics compliance – challenges and benefits for both U.S. and global companies,” The Law for Lawyers Today Blog, March 30, 2017
- “Trump Administration Sanctions Iran for Ballistic Missile Tests and Expands List of Medical Devices Requiring License for Export to Iran,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, February 7, 2017
- “United States Begins to Lift 20-Year-Old Trade Sanctions Toward Sudan,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, January 24, 2017
- “Trump Administration: Key Players in International Trade,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, January 17, 2017
- “Looking Back: Trump and Trade,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, January 9, 2017
- “Ohio Changes Duty Requirements for Limited Liability Companies,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Fall 2016
- President Terminates U.S. Sanctions Against Burma & Ivory Coast, Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, October 11, 2016
- “Hanjin Shipping Bankruptcy: What Cargo Owners Need to Know,” Thompson Hine Transportation Update, September 2016
- “OFAC Releases New Kingpin Act General Licenses Relating to Panama,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, July 2016
- Guest Speaker for panel, “Roundtable Discussion on Ethics and Compliance,” University de Cergy-Pontoise, France, March 2017
- “Trump and Trade," International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio, January 2017
- "Current Events Affecting the International Trade World: Hanjin Bankruptcy and FCPA Enforcement,” European American Chamber of Commerce of Cincinnati: Import/Export Forum, October 2016
- Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP®)
- International Business Ethics and Compliance Certificate Program at Xavier University - Certification March 2017
- Dayton Bar Association
- International Trade Association of Southwest Ohio, President
- Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics
- Wills for Heroes
- Xavier University, Cintas Institute for Business Ethics, Advisory Board Member
- Pro Bono Partnership of Ohio