Heather M. Hawkins
Heather assists clients in resolving complex business and construction disputes with cost effective, winning strategies. Heather will understand your business and objectives, and will work tirelessly with you to assess and address risk and craft plans to meet your goals in the most efficient way possible.
When matters cannot reach a business resolution, clients trust Heather to go to bat for them in the courtroom. As a former Division I college athlete, Heather is a focused and creative advocate for clients and she has numerous first-chair victories in multi-million dollar jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. Clients rely on Heather to lead their litigation portfolios in federal and state courts across the country.
No matter what the size of the matter, Heather proactively plans and budgets to meet a client’s needs. She utilizes SmartPaTH, the firm’s proprietary legal project management tool, to plan and budget for all litigation matters. Heather’s practical, collaborative approach takes the mystery out of litigation costs and ensures that her team is working efficiently and diligently toward a desired result.
Heather was named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Litigation Hot List and has twice been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.
Select Trial and Appellate Victories:
- Obtained multiple jury verdicts in federal courts, including Central District of California and District of Colorado, for an international construction products company in defense of multi-million dollar breach of contract, warranty and professional negligence lawsuits.
- Obtained jury verdict in Indiana state court for defendant geotechnical engineering company in lawsuit by owner and developer of condominiums and alleging millions of dollars of damages for breach of contract and professional negligence for the company’s design and construction of retaining walls.
- Obtained jury verdict in Hamilton County, Ohio in favor of internet domain and service provider in lawsuit filed by a consumer involving conversion and fraud claims.
- Obtained jury verdicts for and in defense of a construction manager in a high-profile lawsuit in Kenton County, Kentucky involving claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, breach of warranty and negligence by owner, developer and subcontractors on condominium high rise.
- Obtained a decision after a three-week arbitration in Washington, D.C. of a shareholder dispute in favor of a construction products supplier and manufacturer.
- Obtained a favorable arbitration decision in favor of a regional car dealership and against a consumer in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Successfully defeated appeal of a summary judgment ruling in favor of car manufacturer in Ohio’s First Appellate District.
- Won appeal of verdict on breach of contract claims filed by a subcontractor on a construction project in the Kentucky Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defeated appeal of jury verdict in favor of geotechnical engineering firm in Indiana’s Court of Appeals.
Examples of Favorable Resolutions:
- Obtained dismissals and summary judgment and negotiated favorable settlements for developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors and engineering firms in construction defect and contract litigation and arbitrations.
- Negotiated multiple, positive settlements on behalf of inventors, national retailers, and international manufacturers and distributors in business, trademark and patent infringement litigation.
- Obtained default and summary judgments on behalf of private and public companies in various contract, lease and other business and consumer disputes.
- Obtained favorable outcomes and settlements on behalf of public companies securities and shareholder disputes.
Other Representative Matters:
- Representation of international clinical research organization in litigation involving clinical trials and contracts.
- Representation of public companies is securities and shareholder litigation.
- Representation of developers, construction managers, general contractors, subcontractors and engineering firms in complex construction litigation, arbitrations and other disputes.
- Representation of professional employee placement company in noncompetition and discrimination lawsuits.
- Representation of automobile manufacturers and dealers in consumer-related lawsuits, arbitrations and disputes.
- Representation of pharmaceutical companies in product liability litigation.
- Representation of commercial property managers and owners and commercial tenants in landlord/tenant disputes.
- “Legal Project Management: Providing Value for In-House Law Departments,” June 2016
- "Recent Construction Defect Case Law Updates," National Business Institute, December 2015
- "Using Experts to Your Advantage in Construction Defect Cases," National Business Institute, December 2015
- Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Litigation Hot List, 2016 and 2017
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2011 - 2018
- YWCA Rising Star, 2007
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow, 2017
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue, Board Member
- Northern Kentucky University Construction Management Industry Advisory Board, Board Member, 2012 - present
- Rotary Club of Cincinnati, Member, 2011 - present
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, WE Lead – Class VII
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers – Class XV
- Cardinal Athletics Alumni Association
January 08, 2013