Nicole is an associate in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice group. She focuses her practice on assisting private and public companies with the design, implementation and maintenance of qualified retirement, non-qualified deferred compensation, and health and welfare plans. She has experience with all types of tax-qualified retirement plans, including 401(k) plans, profit sharing plans, 403(b) plans and defined benefit plans. She also has significant experience in advising plan sponsors with compliance issues related to ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA and the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Specifically, she has experience advising employers on statutory compliance under the ACA and the strategic design of health and welfare benefit plans.
In addition, Nicole has experience handling a variety of corporate and financial employee benefit issues, including the consequences of retirement withdrawals and tax and compliance implications of business transactions, and assisting clients with strategic benefit planning and employee integration in the merger and acquisition context. She also has experience counseling clients on the implications of domestic relations issues in connection with their employee benefit programs, including advising on the qualified division of retirement benefits.
Nicole worked for another Ohio firm before joining Thompson Hine. She served as a judicial extern to Judge William L. Mallory, Jr. in the First District Court of Appeals and also completed a legal internship in the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia in Washington, D.C.
- ”Section 409A and Nonqualified Deferred Compensation Programs,” Dixon, Davis, Bagent & Company 26th Annual Accounting Update, September 2016
- “Latest Developments Changing the Landscape for Employee Benefits-Utilizing HSAs as Retirement Funding Vehicles,” Atrium Medical Center 17th Annual Estate and Tax Planning Professional Seminar, November 2015
- “Code Section 6055 and 6056 Requirements-Update on Final 2015 Requirements,” Employers Resource Association, October 2015
- “Employer Shared Responsibility Penalties-Code Section 6055 and 6056 Requirements,” Employers Resource Association, May 2015
- “Department of Labor Hot Topics, Self-Directed Brokerage Accounts and Late Remittance of 401(k) Participant Contributions,” HORAN Corporate Retirement Plan Consulting Seminar, April 2015
- “ACA Reporting Requirements,” Cincinnati Bar Association Employee Benefits Committee, November 2014
- Cincinnati Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee, chair
- American Bar Association
Thompson Hine Expands Employee Benefits Practice With Three-Lawyer Team - Leading Employee Benefits Partner David A. Whaley Joins Firm
October 26, 2016