Roy E. Hadley, Jr.
Roy serves as co-chair of the Privacy & Cybersecurity team and as chair of the firmwide Diversity & Inclusion Initiative. His practice is international in scope and includes counseling clients worldwide on complex corporate transactions, particularly those involving technology, information management, e-commerce, economic development, telecommunications, outsourcing and intellectual property.
Recognizing that companies and their boards face increasing liability and risks associated with cybersecurity, Roy serves as independent counsel to boards and board committees on cyber matters, helping them understand and mitigate legal risks and exposures to protect themselves and the companies they serve.
Roy was recently named as a 2016 “Game Changer” in Information Security by Hub Magazine. He has been recognized by Legal 500 for his work in middle-market mergers and acquisitions and by Savoy Magazine as one of its 2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers, the “best of the best” black lawyers who are partners at leading national law firms and corporate counsel at Fortune 1000 companies. Roy was also named one of America’s Most Influential Lawyers for 2013 and a 2012 Cyber Security Visionary by Black Engineering Magazine.
Roy also counsels clients on business matters affected by personal and family dynamics, including business succession planning, legacy planning, family governance and intergenerational issues. He focuses on helping closely held businesses and the family members involved protect their interests and achieve their goals in times of transition or crisis.
Prior to private practice, Roy’s business experience involved serving as:
- Vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary of AirGate PCS, Inc.
- Vice president, corporate counsel and chief privacy officer for WorldTravel BTI
- In-house counsel for Turner Entertainment Group/AOL Time Warner and MCI WorldCom
From 1993-1994, Roy was special counsel to the president of the American Bar Association. He also previously served as special assistant attorney general for the state of Georgia.
A sampling of Roy’s experience includes:
Cybersecurity & Privacy
- Assisting a pharmaceutical company in developing global privacy and information management policies and procedures.
- Review of website design policies and compliance.
- Drafting of international privacy policies and data transfer policies.
- Drafting and negotiating cloud storage and data hosting agreements to reduce costs for a client while maintaining safety and security of personally identifiable information.
- Assisting a client in implementing safe harbor protections and alternative data transfer schemes in light of the Schrems decision.
- Assisting clients with data breach mitigation and response, compliance with reporting and notification requirements, and risk mitigation.
- Representing a large U.S. manufacturer and distributor of agricultural equipment in multiple African countries and facilitating joint ventures with local partners throughout Africa.
- Representing African companies in accessing U.S. technologies, facilitating technology transfer, and negotiating licensing and distribution rights in southern and western Africa.
- Assisting several U.S. companies on international trade and establishing distribution channels for the export of telecommunications equipment into Africa.
- Assisting a U.S.-based commodities trading company in establishing distribution, warehousing and trading operations for perishable commodities in Liberia and western Africa.
- Advising U.S. companies doing business in South Africa with joint venture structuring, including incorporating tax incentives, foreign grant and enterprise incentives into overall project finance.
- Representing a South African financial advisory and investment management firm on project finance, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising a South African telecommunications company on product outsourcing, OEM manufacturing and post-product assembly transactions.
- Advising clients on solar energy projects in South Africa and Botswana.
- Representing international companies in accessing U.S. technologies, facilitating technology transfers, and negotiating licensing and global distribution rights.
Entertainment & Media
- Serving as co-lead on a $330 million purchase and corporate restructuring for a large privately held media group.
- Counseling athletes and entertainers on endorsements, business opportunities, social media and other contractual matters.
- Counseling a client on convergence and interactive media technologies, content distribution and enhanced broadband/multimedia applications.
- Serving as co-lead in negotiating $1 billion infrastructure and managed network services outsourcing contracts for a state agency.
- Directing the legal team in the merger of a wireless telecommunications company with another communications company, including all legal, regulatory, compliance and human resource matters.
- Leading the development of an intellectual property legal group concentrating on computer technology, telephony, wireless strategies, software development and licensing, and related intellectual property issues including copyright and trademark law
- Advising an international telecommunications company on product outsourcing, OEM manufacturing and post product assembly transactions.
Cybersecurity & Privacy
- “FTC Increases Focus on Smart Toys with COPPA Update,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, August 2017
- “Court Finds Work Product Doctrine Protects Data Breach Records,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, June 2017
- Quoted, “Atlanta Health Care Startup Modeled On Bitcoin Technology,” WABE 90.1, April 2017
- “Cybersecurity Commission Report Encourages Immediate Action, Collaboration,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, December 2016
- “New York Proposes Cybersecurity Regulations for Financial Services Firms,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, October 2016
- “Second Circuit Limits Use of Warrants to Secure Electronic Data Stored Abroad,” Thompson Hine Privacy & White Collar Update, July 2016
- “European Commission Adopts EU-U.S. Privacy Shield,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, July 2016
- “Fourth Circuit Finds Insurance Coverage for Exposure of Electronic Medical Records Under Traditional Insurance Policy,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, April 2016
- “European Commission Publishes EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Legal Texts,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, March 2016
- “FDIC Issues Cybersecurity Guidance for Banks,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, February 2016
- “U.S. and EU Agree on New Framework to Replace Safe Harbor,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, February 2016
- “EU Court: Employee Email Monitoring May Not Breach Privacy Rights,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, January 2016
- “Enhanced EU Data Protection Regulations,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, December 2015
- “EU/U.S. Safe Harbor Framework in Jeopardy: Article 29 Working Party Statement on ECJ Case,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, October 2015
- “Court Decision Imperils Privacy Safe Harbor,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Cybersecurity Update, October 2015
- “Proposed Rule to Control Exports of Cybersecurity Technologies,” Thompson Hine International Trade & Customs Update, May 26, 2015
- “European Union Imposes Extraterritorial Privacy Obligations on U.S. Businesses,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Information Security Update, May 2014
- “Canada’s New Anti-Spam Law – Is Your Business Ready?” Thompson Hine Privacy & Information Security Update, May 2014
- “New California Law Requires Tracking Transparency,” Thompson Hine Privacy & Information Security Update, March 2014
- Interviewed, “Update on Cyber Security”, TAG Radio, February, 2014
- Quoted, "Inside ‘Plan X:’ The Pentagon’s Plan for Cyberweapon Central,” FoxNews.com, December 2012
- Quoted, “Cybersecurity Legislation: We Need to Get Our Act Together, and Fast,” CRN, November 2012
- Quoted, “Cybersecurity Exclusive: As Cyber Threat Grows, President Ponders Executive Action,” Homeland Security Today, September 2012
- Quoted, “EU Could Rain on Cloud Strategy with Too-Tight Data Rules,” Law360, June 2012
- Quoted, “IT Forecast: Warming, with a Chance of Cloud Computing,” Hospitals & Health Networks, July 2011
- Author, Inside Counsel magazine series (six articles) on technology, April to July 2011
- Quoted, “Oncor Brings Smart Grid to 3 Million Texans, Privacy Intact,” Signal News, June 2011
- Quoted, “The Dangerous Downpour of Cyber Data,” Intelligent Utilities magazine, March 2011
- Quoted, “Google Offers a Wisp of Cloud Printing,” TechNews World, January 2011
- Quoted, “White House Considers Relaxing Cloud Security Requirements,” NextGov.com, January 2011
- Co-author, “The Legal Issues Are Somewhat Cloudy in the Cloud,” Journal of the Georgia Bar, October 2010
- Quoted, Law360, as part of an overview of employment cases to watch in 2010 and on City of Ontario et al. v. Jeff Quon – a U.S. Supreme Court case regarding privacy policies for employees in the workplace
Entertainment & Media
- “A Little Common Sense can go a Long Way with Athletes,” The Miami Herald
- “NFL Draftees Need Economics Lesson,” The Orange County Register
- “Another flock of NFL lambs could be headed to financial disaster in long term,” Philly.com
- “10 Good Minutes with....Roy Hadley,” The Sports Page Weekly
- “Athletes can learn what NOT to do from Ben Roethlisberger,” SanLuisObispo.com
- Participant, Technology Association of Georgia, Tech Celebrity “TIC TEC KNO” roundtable event, Atlanta, March 2016
- Panelist, European American Chamber of Commerce, EU-US Privacy roundtable with privacy activist Max Schrems, New York, February 2016
- Presenter, TAG Financial Roundtable, “Cyber Risks and How to Mitigate Them,” November 2015
- Presenter, Thompson Hine Chemical Company Summit, “Cyber Risks and the Chemical Industry,” Cleveland, Ohio, October 2015
- Co-Organizer, TAG CISO Roundtable, September 2015
- Panelist, Thompson Hine Premier Client Summit, “Protecting Against Cybersecurity Breaches: Contracts, Business Partner Selection & Insurance,” Washington, D.C., May 2015
- Moderator and Panelist, “The Inner Workings of the Cloud: Key Questions for Cloud Services Vendors,” Law Seminars International, April 2015
- Presenter and Board Chair, “Technology Association of Georgia 2015 Cyber-Security Simulation and Table-Top Exercise,” February 2015
- Presenter and Board Chair, “Technology Association of Georgia 2014 Cyber-Security and Business Risk Simulation and Cyber Attack and Response Exercise,” February 2014
- Panelist, “Growing Insecurity: The Risks of Access, Openness & Freedom,” World Affairs Council, February 2014
- Presenter, “Good Governance: What is it? What is it not?” Thompson Hine Best of Boards Series, January 2014
- Presenter, “A Survey of the Changing Laws Affecting Information Security: What Every Information Security Practitioner Needs to Know,” Technology Association of Georgia, November 2013
- Presenter, “Doing Business in Africa: Perceptions and Realities,” Kettering Executive Network Multinational Special Interest Group, July 2013
- Co-Presenter, “Lessons Learned: Thoughts from a Cyber Simulation,” Technology Association of Georgia, May 2013
- Presenter, “Data Security in a Changing World," Association of Corporate Counsel, March 2013
- Panelist, “Technology Association of Georgia Cyber-Security and Business Risk Simulation and Cyber Attack Exercise,” February, 2013
- Host and Panelist, the Atlanta Chapter of The International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) quarterly KnowledgeNet program. Panel discussion, "Bring Your Own Device to Work," surrounding issues of data security surrounding mobile devices in the work place, September 2012
- Presenter, "Information Security and Privacy Concerns for Executives and Owners of Closely Held Businesses," client seminar, January 2012
- Presenter, "Cloud Computing: Privacy and Information Security Concerns," client seminar, Dayton, Ohio, November 2011
- Presenter, "Best Practices in Software Purchasing Agreements," Barnes & Thornburg/escrow associates client seminar, September 2011
- Panelist, "Using Social Media in Recruiting," BW Partners Recruiting Symposium, September 2011
- Presenter, "Cloud Computing: Exploring Legal Risks," SecureWorld Conference, Atlanta, May 2011
- Presenter, "The Legal Risks of Cloud Computing," American Forest and Paper Association – General Counsel Forum, April 2011
- Presenter, "Cloud Computing: Exploring Legal and Other Risks," Fourth Annual ISACA South Florida WOW! Conference, February 2011
- Co-presenter, "Advertising and Promotion: Technology and Law," Georgia Chapter of the ACC, December 2010
- Presenter, "Legal Trends in Technology Asset Management and Disposal," International Association of Information Technology Asset Managers, Nashville, October 2010
- Panel moderator, "Technology and Information Security Trends – Issues and Concerns for HR Professionals," SHRM Atlanta Conference, October 2010
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
- Listed in Legal 500 in Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts, 2014
- American Corporate Counsel Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Technology Marketing Council
- Atlanta Legal Diversity Consortium, former board member
- Boy Scouts of America
- Chastain Park Conservancy, board member
- Corporate Leadership Council of Fernbank Museum, board member
- South Africa Business Chamber of Commerce
- Georgia Electronic Commerce Association, Privacy Working Group
- Technology Association of Georgia Information Security Society, board chair
- Technology Association of Georgia Leadership Council, board member
Savoy Magazine’s 2015 Most Influential Black LawyersSavoy Magazine
March 07, 2015
February 26, 2015
Thompson Hine's Atlanta Office Adds Two Lateral Partners - Corporate Partners Bolster Growing Office
June 12, 2013