Stacey A. Greenwell
Stacey is an associate in the Product Liability and Business Litigation practice groups who represents manufacturers of automobiles, aircraft components, food, and other commercial and consumer products in product liability, consumer, mass tort, and class actions. Stacey also represents corporations in the defense of toxic torts (including claims alleging exposure to asbestos and other toxic chemicals). She also has extensive experience defending workplace injury and premises liability actions involving serious injuries and death. She also works with employers investigating workplace accidents, developing training programs, and responding to OSHA investigations, citations, and complaints.
Stacey is the chair of the firm’s pro bono committee. Her leadership has led to the representation of countless individuals and organizations that could not otherwise afford legal services.
Stacey is admitted to practice in the state courts of Ohio, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and the U.S. Court of Appeals of the Sixth Circuit.
- Defense of automobile manufacturers in state and federal courts against claims of design and manufacturing defects and failure to warn.
- Defense of automobile manufacturers in lawsuits alleging exposure to asbestos contained in friction products.
- Defense of automobile manufacturers in numerous actions alleging claims under Ohio's lemon law and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of automobile manufacturer in case alleging design and manufacturing defects and failure to warn arising out of alleged unintended acceleration.
- Obtained summary in favor of automobile manufacturer on claim that the automobile did not get the gas mileage represented on the Monroney label on the ground of federal preemption.
- Defense of aircraft component manufacturers in actions alleging design and manufacturing defects and failure to warn.
- Member of trial team that obtained a defense verdict at trial on behalf of a manufacturer of exhaust system components in wrongful death action arising from a Grumman AA-5 aircraft accident. Member of the appellate team that successfully upheld that verdict in the Court of Appeals.
- Member of trial team that obtained a defense verdict at trial on behalf of a manufacturer of de-icing equipment in a product liability action involving a Cessna 208B aircraft.
- National counsel for manufacturer of frozen food products in product liability actions.
- Represented and advised food manufacturer in connection with a nationwide recall of frozen food product alleged to be contaminated with salmonella.
- Obtained dismissal of nationwide class action relating to the sale of food containing partially hydrogenated oil (trans fat).
- Representation of food manufacturer in state and federal courts in cases alleging respiratory illness as a result of exposure to food product.
- Defense of food manufacturer in federal and state courts in cases alleging foodborne illness and foreign object contamination.
Commercial Food Equipment
- National counsel for manufacturer of commercial food equipment in product liability actions involving meat choppers, meat mixer-grinders, commercial mixers, tenderizers, slicers, and other commercial food equipment.
- Obtained summary judgment in case against commercial food mixer manufacturer, alleging claims for defective design, failure to warn, and breach of implied warranties.
OSHA and Workplace Safety
- Defense of employers in premises liability, intentional tort, and personal injury cases.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an employer involving a fatal traffic accident.
- Obtained summary judgment in action alleging negligent operation of a utility task vehicle and negligent hiring and training.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of OSHA compliance programs, safety audits, and training programs.
- Respond to and assist employers with OSHA investigations, citations, and complaints.
- Conduct incident investigations and work closely with experts in accident reconstruction of incidents involving tractors, commercial mowers, and utility vehicles.
- Work with employers in reviewing and evaluating warnings and instructions that accompany utility vehicles and other heavy equipment and the regulations that govern the manufacture and use of such vehicles and equipment.
- Work with company with a large fleet of utility vehicles across the country to develop a training program on the proper and safe use of ATVs and UTVs.
- Work with experts and field workers on modifications and additions to ATVs and UTVs to ensure compliance with manufacturer requirements.
- Obtained decisions from the Occupational Health and Safety Commission vacating citations arising out of workplace incidents on the ground that the standards under which the citations were issued were inapplicable.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Federal Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Thompson Hine Pro Bono Committee, Committee Chair
Ohio High Court Upholds Key Tort Reform ProvisionsWashington Legal Foundation
April 26, 2012