William T. Garcia
Chief Practice Innovation Officer
Bill is responsible for identifying and developing areas where novel ideas, new technology, firm structure, and day-to-day practices can be combined and refined to improve the firm’s clients’ experience. He leads the implementation of Thompson Hine’s SmartPaTH® legal services delivery model as a core competency of the firm. Bill supports the development of legal project management and related processes, procedures and tools; coaches firm lawyers on SmartPaTH® techniques; and works with our clients to foster more efficient legal service delivery processes. He supports practice groups in new product and service initiatives, identifies emerging new market opportunities, and sponsors the development of pioneering technologies.
He is a founding faculty member of the Association of Corporate Counsel’s Legal Service Management Workshop series, which focuses on value-based fee structures and the management skills and tools needed to support them.
Bill was the Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives of an international law firm, where he advised firm clients on the development of alternative fee/value-based billing arrangements and the formation and operation of preferred legal vendor programs.
He previously served for more than a decade as inside counsel at Gannett Co., Inc., where he advised on antitrust, advertising, distribution and other matters and managed the commercial litigation docket. He later served as Vice President/Compliance Oversight at MCI during its emergence from bankruptcy. Before joining Gannett, Bill practiced at two international law firms.
- Featured throughout, “3 Tips For Finding The Right Fee Arrangement,” Law360, June 6, 2017
- Co-author, "Proper Litigation Budgeting Delivers True Value to Clients," New York Law Journal, April 13, 2015
- “Tips for Becoming the Trusted Outside Counsel,” Sound Advice Podcast Series, Section of Litigation, American Bar Association, April 2010 (available online at www.americanbar.org)
- "Top 10 Things Law Firms Should Know (But Don’t Seem to Know) About Their Clients,” In-House Litigator, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Fall 2008), American Bar Association (available online at www.americanbar.org)
- “The Care and Feeding of Inside Counsel,” Litigation, Vol. 31, No. 2, Winter 2005, American Bar Association (available online at www.americanbar.org)
- "How to Use Value-Based Fees," 2017 ACC Legal Operations Conference, June 4-6, 2017
- "Legal Industry Pressures, Operational Efficiency and Pricing Strategies," Nimble Legal Forum, October 25, 2017
- "Applying Legal Project Management - Case Studies in Getting Lawyer Buy-In," Practicing Law Institute, Project Management for Lawyers 2015, January 22, 2015
- “What Does 2020 Look Like? e-Lawyering and the Future of Legal Work,” American Bar Association, Commission on Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Profession, Minority Counsel Program, May 14-16, 2014
- “Using Value-Based Fees to Strengthen Client-Firm Relationships,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Section Annual Conference, April 25, 2013
- “New Partner Session: Working With In-House Counsel,” American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, New Partner and In-House Counsel Conference, March 3, 2012
- “Outside Counsel Management,” Association of Corporate Counsel, 2012 Corporate Counsel University
- “Re-evaluating Law Firm Economics and What Drives Profitability in Today’s Economy,” Legal Marketing Association, Senior Marketer’s Summit, April 4, 2011
- “On the Horizon – The Slow Motion Revolution,” 9th Annual Premier Legal Practice & Risk Management Conference, March 3-5, 2010
- “Gun-Jumping: Pitfalls, Uncertainties and Solutions,” American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, 2006 spring meeting
- “Dealing with the Media: Right, Wrong & Otherwise,” Association of Corporate Counsel, 2005 annual meeting
- “Antitrust Law Primer for Small Department Practitioners,” Association of Corporate Counsel, 2002 annual meeting
- American Bar Association, Chair, Presidential Working Group on Task Based Billing Codes; Section of Litigation: associate editor, Litigation; Managing Director and former co-chair, Corporate Counsel Council; Committee
- Association of Corporate Counsel Legal Services Management Workshop Faculty
- Washington Office on Latin America, Director
Proper Litigation Budgeting Delivers True Value to ClientsNew York Law Journal
April 13, 2015
August 01, 2014