Steve is a partner in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group. He is a registered patent attorney and has experience in virtually all aspects of intellectual property law, including domestic and foreign patent and trademark prosecution; patent and trademark validity and right-to-use studies; copyright registration and litigation; intellectual property licensing including joint venture and trade secret agreements; and domain name and cybersquatting issues. Steve works with companies having large intellectual property portfolios to aid in managing, developing, enforcing and monetizing their portfolios. Steve also regularly counsels clients with growing intellectual property portfolios to formulate and implement suitable intellectual property strategy. Steve has extensive experience in assessing infringement and pursuing infringers, and as well as defending against allegations of infringement. He also regularly drafts and negotiates licenses and agreements involving intellectual property, ranging from deals and acquisitions, to joint ventures, to technology development agreements.
Prior to joining the firm, Steve was an associate with Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP in Cleveland, Ohio, and was previously a judicial extern to the Honorable Paul E. Pfeifer of the Ohio Supreme Court.
Heavy industry: pumping equipment, automotive parts and components, food processing equipment, materials processing, electric motor manufacturing, papermaking, aerospace technology, transportation technology, industrial systems, metal rolling and processing, fluid storage and dispensing equipment, workpiece positioning equipment Light Manufacturing: medical devices, valves and fittings, golf and sporting equipment, packaging, bio-mechanical devices, printer technology, protective apparel, school and office products, consumer goods, food preparation and preservation, dispensing equipment, desiccants, firefighter training technology, food handling equipment Sensors and Electronic Equipment: fluid sensors, RFID technology, micro-electromechanical systems, accelerometers, camera systems Software and Computer Technology: mobile device and tablet app development software and system design, data analytics, e-readers, knowledge base management, data analysis, memory allocation algorithms, agent-based modeling, image capture and processing, communications systems Materials Science: alloys, food additives, aerospace composites, radome surfaces, desiccant and molecular sieve material Business Methods: investment strategies, insurance strategies, logistics, e-commerce, psychographic segmentation.
Served as an expert witness, providing live testimony to the Court in Meeker R&D Inc. v. Evenflo Company, Inc., in the Portage County Court of Common Pleas, 2014
- Co-author, “Enhancing Enterprise Valve: Protecting Your Intellectual Property” Business Law Update, October 2016
- "Supreme Court Send Signal to 'Patent Trolls'," Technology First Dayton, Greater Dayton IT Alliance, September 2007
- Co-author, "Major Changes Possible For The Patent System," Technology First Dayton, Greater Dayton IT Alliance, March 2006
- "Problem in Patent Litigation: Mandatory Mediation May Provide Settlements and Solutions," Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution, 1996
- Panelist, Financial Poise Webinar “IP 101: What Every Founder/Entrepreneur Must Know,” 2017
- “On-Sale Bar: Recent Developments,” on site client presentation, 2016
- "America Invents Act," Dayton Intellectual Property Law Association, CLE accredited presentation, 2014
- "Preissuance Submissions," Strafford Publications CLE accredited webinar, 2013
- "First to File and Patent Basics," Dayton Development Coalition, 2013
- "America Invents Act," Dayton Chapter IEEE, 2013
- "'First to File' Under the America Invents Act," Edison Materials Technology Center, 2012
- "'Tangentialness' Under Festo: Cross Medical Products, Inc. v. Medtronic," on-site client presentation, 2007
- "Basics of Intellectual Property," Dayton Entrepreneur Development Network, 2005
- "Infectious Estoppel - Glaxo Wellcome, Inc. v. Impax," Best Practices in Patent Prosecution for 2005 (CLE accredited seminar), 2004
- Expert panel of annual meeting for National Composite Center, 2008
- Member, Patent Law Committee, Intellectual Property Owner’s Association, 2016
- Member, Planning Committee, University of Dayton Computer and Cyberspace Law Seminar, 2006-present
- Selected for inclusion in Rising Stars by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine, 2006 and 2007