Chief Talent Officer
As Chief Talent Officer, Andy has strategic oversight over all aspects of the firm’s recruiting and professional development functions. He works closely with firm partners, internal recruiting staff and external resources to identify the legal talent most likely to succeed at our firm based on the firm’s core competency platform. Andy also establishes and implements training and professional development programs to support the career management and retention of non-partner lawyers, including programs tailored to meet the needs of our diverse and women lawyers. As a member of the firm’s Lawyer Personnel Committee, Andy also manages all other aspects of associate development, including non-partner evaluations, advancement, compensation decisions, mentoring and coaching.
In addition, Andy provides strategic direction to our Diversity & Inclusion and Women’s Initiatives’ chairs on minority and female lawyer recruiting, hiring, integration, development, career management and retention.
As part of the firm’s comprehensive SmartPaTH® initiative, Andy works closely with practice group leaders, Executive Committee liaisons and Finance staff to devise alternative staffing models and programs for the hiring or engagement of alternative legal talent. Andy supports these efforts by facilitating the recruitment and retention of flexible talent to achieve optimal staffing for client projects.
A longstanding member of the National Association for Law Placement (NALP) and the Professional Development Consortium (PDC), Andy has been a featured speaker on topics related to hiring, professional development and diversity.
Before joining Thompson Hine, Andy served as Director of Legal Recruiting and Development at Dickstein Shapiro LLP, where he previously practiced as an antitrust litigator. Prior to that, he was a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice Federal Tort Claims Act Section.
- “Writing Wellness: Building a Culture and Curriculum of Writing Excellence at Your Firm,” National Association for Law Placement, April 2014
- “Creating Sponsorship Programs to Boost Morale and Productivity in Your Organization,” Mottershead Mid-Size Law Firms Roundtable, December 2013
- “Diversity & Professional Development: Creating the Right Environment for Affinity Groups,” Professional Development Consortium Winter Meeting, December 2013
- Association for Talent Development, member
- National Association for Law Placement, member
- Professional Development Consortium; D.C. Chapter Chair (2011-2014)
- Society for Human Resource Management, member