Philip B. Cochran
Phil is counsel in the firm's Labor & Employment practice group, focusing on workers' compensation and litigation issues, including allowance of claims, disability questions, permanent partial disability, permanent total disability, VSSR, claim settlement, applications for self insurance, non-complying employer liability, Industrial Commission discovery, termination of disability compensation and investigation of industrial claims.
- Representation of clients in Violation of Specific Safety Requirement (VSSR) applications.
- Successfully represented an employer in a death claim in which the cause of death was prescription medication toxicity.
- Successfully defended a workers’ compensation claim by use of surveillance videography and photographs.
- Representation of clients in applications for permanent and total disability.
- Representation of clients in settlement of catastrophic claims in which permanent and total disability has been granted.
- Successful representation of client utilizing the "going and coming" defense in a claim in which the injured worker was involved in a motor vehicle accident on her way to work.
- Successfully represented an employer defending an application for unemployment benefits in a claim in which the former employee was terminated for violation of the employer's copyright and trademark policy.
- Successfully represented an employer in a workers' compensation "successor employer" liability matter. At issue was whether the workers' compensation premiums for past claims remains with the seller or transfers to the purchasing employer of one of the plants of our client.
- “Ohio BWC Refunds Premiums and Rewards Safety Innovation,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Fall 2017
- “Termination Does Not Always Lead to a Voluntary Abandonment Defense in Ohio,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, October 2017
- “Ohio BWC Proposes $1 Billion Workers’ Comp Rebate,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, March 2017
- “BWC Programs Promote Safer Workplaces, Save Costs,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, April 2016
- “Timing of Work Rule Violation Critical to Eligibility for Disability Compensation,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work Newsletter, Fall 2015
- “Ohio Business Transfers May Result in Higher Workers’ Compensation Premiums,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Summer 2015
- “Ohio Business Transfers May Result in Higher Workers’ Compensation Premiums,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, April 2015
- "BWC Programs Promote Safer Workplaces, Save Costs," Thompson Hine, December 2014
- “Ohio BWC Issues $1 Billion Rebate to Ohio Employers,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, October 2014
- Workers' Compensation, Thompson Hine LLP Client Seminars
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Upper Arlington Civic Association
- Ohio Self-Insured Association
- Central Ohio Self-Insured Association