Faith L. Charles
Chair, Life Sciences
Faith is a trusted advisor and principal outside and general counsel to dozens of emerging and public life science companies, as well as companies in the health care information technology, energy, retail and consumer product industries. Through her more than 30 years of corporate transactional experience, clients gain valuable insights into capital markets, corporate governance and strategic collaborations.
Faith leads, manages and negotiates complex financings, acquisitions and dispositions, and strategic collaborations that are often transformative for her clients. She has completed more than 250 securities offerings with gross proceeds totaling in excess of $10 billion.
Faith uses a collaborative, cross-disciplinary approach to resolve clients’ issues and provides guidance on integrating advice from other legal experts, such as patent prosecutors, regulatory advisors, litigators, employment lawyers and tax advisors, aligning recommendations with the clients’ corporate strategies and directions. Faith is passionate about providing great client service, which reward both her and her clients with strong, long-lasting relationships.
With extensive knowledge of federal and state securities law filings and compliance, and public and private capital markets transactions, Faith provides clients with solid legal footing required for transactions such as public offerings, follow-on offerings, confidentially marked offerings, registered direct offerings, reverse mergers, spin-off transactions, at-the-market offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities. She also provides guidance on stock exchange listings, de-listings and compliance. Her client base range from Fortune 500 to fledgling companies, as well as banks, underwriters, placement agents, venture capitalists and investors.
Comprehensive experience, including her experience serving as a board member, enables Faith to provide insightful leadership on topics such as corporate governance matters, complex disclosure issues, insider trading issues and compliance with federal and state securities laws and stock exchange listings and compliance. For her clients, which include companies, boards of directors and special committees, Faith devises strategies which assess and mitigate risks, develops governance and other types of compliance policies, and assists with the director onboarding process.
Faith negotiates and counsels on strategic collaborations and joint ventures in the United States and internationally, primarily for life sciences clients. Her work includes completing a significant number of exclusive licensing agreements on behalf of clients with companies around the world, including China, France, Hungary, Italy, Japan and Latin America, among others. She also advises and negotiates commercial agreements, such as technology license agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, distribution agreements and service agreements.
- “Spin-Offs: Key Considerations,” Thompson Hine Business Law Update, Winter 2018
- Interviewed, “WIB Profile: Mergers, Funding, & Financing Continue to Surge In Biotech,” ClinicalLeader.com, July 2, 2015
- Interviewed, “NY women take on the biotech sector,” Crain’s New York Business, Source Lunch, May 23, 2014
Regular sponsor and participant of:
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development (CED) Life Sciences conference
- Southeastern Medical Device Association (SEMDA) Conference
- Southeast BIO Investor Forum
- Southeast Venture Philanthropy Summit
- Springboard Enterprises Winners' Circle Awards Dinner
- Women in Bio
- Graduate of Women in Bio’s First Boardroom Ready Program, George Washington University’s Executive Education School
- Euromoney/LMG Life Sciences, Life Sciences Star, Finance & Transactional (2013 to 2016)
- BTI Client Service All-Star
- Member - Board of Directors, Gilda’s Club of New York City
- Member - Board of Directors of Agilvax Inc.
- Chair - Women in Bio, New York Metro chapter
- Member - Life Sciences Council, Springboard Enterprises
- Member - Executive Committee, Life Sciences Sector, The Licensing Executive Society (USA and Canada)
- Member - Board of Advisors- Initiative for Patient- Centered Innovation, Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Thompson Hine Recognized by LMG Life Sciences 2015 - Firm Recommended for Product Liability; Four Lawyers Listed as Life Sciences Stars
September 23, 2015
July 02, 2015
Thompson Hine Recognized by LMG Life Sciences 2014 - Firm Recommended in Two Practice Areas; Six Lawyers Listed as Life Sciences Stars
November 21, 2014
Thompson Hine Recognized by LMG Life Sciences 2013 - Firm Recommended in Two Practice Areas; Six Lawyers Listed as Life Sciences Stars
August 19, 2013
August 19, 2012
Thompson Hine Names New York Women’s Initiative Chair - Faith L. Charles to Lead Efforts
April 20, 2011
Thompson Hine Names New Life Sciences Leader - Faith L. Charles to Lead Group
January 27, 2011
March 10, 2016
November 11, 2014