Heather M. Muzumdar
Cincinnati Vice Chair, Spotlight on Women
Heather has represented private and publicly traded companies, ranging from start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies, in a broad range of labor and employment matters. As an experienced litigator, she specializes in providing clients with strategic and practical advice designed to minimize compliance risks and litigation. Heather is a trusted advisor who partners with her clients to fully understand the problems and business needs and to identify effective solutions.
She routinely counsels in-house attorneys, business executives and human resources professionals on complex employment issues. She advises on best practices, develops policies and procedures, and provides training on compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and related state laws, as well as harassment, discrimination, religious accommodations, employer use of background checks, drug testing, workplace investigations, discipline and documentation, workplace violence, and a variety of other employment issues.
She routinely provides counsel on restrictive covenants, employment agreements, severance agreements, independent contractor agreements, and other agreements. She advises companies on federal and state wage and hour compliance, conducts proactive employment practices audits, and represents clients in federal and state agency audits and investigations.
Heather has successfully represented clients and resolved disputes in a variety of employment-related matters, including trade secret and non-compete litigation, employment discrimination claims, and other workplace disputes. She has successfully defended clients against charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and similar administrative agencies.
Heather regularly speaks on a variety of employment topics. She has been named an Ohio Super Lawyer Rising Star for three straight years.
Representative Litigation Experience:
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of manufacturing client against employee alleging worker’s compensation retaliation, intentional tort, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Obtained dismissal of race discrimination claims against logistics company.
- Obtained over a million dollar jury verdict and attorney fee award for a national home-building industry client on trade secret and related claims brought against former employee and competitor.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in jury trial for an automobile retailer in a religious and national origin discrimination and harassment lawsuit in the Southern District of Ohio.
- In a race discrimination lawsuit, obtained a dismissal of the case brought by a former employee against an international manufacturer.
- Obtained a series of orders of temporary injunctive relief in favor of medical device provider, leading to effective resolution of the matters without additional litigation.
- Negotiated a settlement with a former employee of a medical service provider to repay portion of salary due to breach of loyalty.
- “DOL Reduces Overtime Threshold to $47,000,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, May 2016
- “DOL Guidance: You Might Be a Joint Employer If…,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, January 2016
- "Temporary Employees and the ACA: Does Recent DOL Guidance Require a Change?" Cincinnati Bar Association CBA Report, September 2015
- “Attracting & Retaining Talent: A Proactive Approach to Preventing Transgender Discrimination in the Workplace,” Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Summer 2015
- "HR Update: Why Employers Should Prohibit and Address Workplace Bullying," Thompson Hine The Law@Work, Summer 2014
- “Supreme Court Holds Time Spent by Workers in Post-Shift Security Screenings Is Not Compensable Time under the Fair Labor Standards Act,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, December 2014
- “New Guidance for Employers from EEOC and FTC,” Thompson Hine Labor & Employment @lert, March 2014
- "EEOC Issues Final ADAAA Regulations," GCHRA Newsletter, August, 2011
- "The Importance of Proper Notice Before Completing Background Checks," GCHRA Newsletter, March, 2011
- "Lessons of the Swine Flu," GCHRA Resources, June 2009
- "Revising Your Policies for the New Year," GCHRA Resources, December 2009
- Negotiation Skills for HR, Southwest Ohio Human Resource Association, August 2015
- Navigating the Legal Issues Affecting Corporate Culture and Employee Retention, GCHRA, 2015
- Employment Litigation: Discovery Tactics and Strategies, Thompson Hine Legal Update for HR Professionals, 2014
- Panel Moderator, “Finding the Right Mix: Successful Negotiation Strategies for Women,” Spotlight on Women, 2014
- Evaluation and Hiring Candidates: Essential Legal Considerations, National Business Institute, 2014
- Preparing for Government Audits/Investigations, GCHRA, 2014
- FMLA Leave: Minimizing Disruptions and Abuse, National Business Institute, 2014
- Employee Handbooks, HR Partners, 2014
- ADA Compliance Update, Cleveland Employment Seminar, 2013
- Striking a Balance: Criminal Record Policies, GCHRA, 2013
- Workplace Violence, Legal Update for HR Professionals, 2013
- EEOC & Criminal Record Policies, Legal Update for HR Professionals, 2013
- Managing Leave Abuse, Breakfast Briefing, 2013
- Thought You Knew the ADA?, Understanding and Managing the Changes Resulting From the EEOC's New ADAAA Regulations, May 2011
- Hiring and Recruiting Documents, NBI, April 2011
- FMLA Update, GCHRA Legal Briefing, November 2010
- Revising Your Policies for the New Year, GCHRA Resources, December 2009
- Employment Law Update, Spotlight on Women, December 2009
- Lessons of the Swine Flu, GCHRA Resources, June 2009
- Sexual Harassment and Fraternization, Thompson Hine's Labor & Employment Law Update, May 2008
- Selected for inclusion in 2012 to 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star
- YWCA Academy of Career Women of Achievement Rising Star Award (2009)
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association (GCHRA), member
- Cincinnati Bar Association, co-chair of the Public Relations Committee, Young Lawyer's Section, 2008 to 2011
- Greater Cincinnati Human Resources Association, Member, 2009 to present
- The Children's Theater, Board Member (2015)
- The Children's Theater Gala Committee Member (2013-2014)
- Grant Park Home Owners Association, Board Member (2012-2013)
- C-Change Leadership Program, Class 7 participant, Cincinnati USA Regional Chapter (2012)
- Visions, Human Resources Committee (2010 to 2012)
- Greater Cincinnati Foundation, Women's Fund, Women & Girls Leadership Project, Committee Member (2009)
December 29, 2015