Craig R. Martahus
Craig is a partner in the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities practice group. He focuses his practice on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, venture financings, corporate restructurings and the purchase and sale of insolvent companies inside and outside of Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Represented portfolio company buyer in a $26 million add-on acquisition of a company primarily serving the auto industry.
- Represented a valuation firm that issued a solvency opinion in connection with the issuance of $500 million of bonds the proceeds of which were used to fund a dividend.
- Represented the general partner in the formation and successful closing of a real estate fund for accredited investors that will acquire shopping centers in secondary markets.
- Represented a syndicated bank group in a work out that culminated in the sale of the bank group's debt.
- Represented a privately held limited liability company in an out-of-court restructuring of $180 million of debt. As a result of the restructuring, the mezzanine lenders acquired 100 percent of the equity of the company.
- Representing a syndicated senior bank group in connection with a work out involving a public company borrower that concluded with a successful §363 sale.
- Represented a U.S. manufacturing company in the establishment of a Chinese joint venture in Yixing province.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $50 million acquisition of a specialty gear manufacturer located in Wisconsin.
- Represented a buy-out fund in connection with a combination of three portfolio companies operating in three countries and related $190 million refinancing. The combination was effected through a series of exchange agreements among the shareholders and subordinated debt holders of the portfolio companies. The refinancing was achieved through a combination of first and second lien loans.
- Represented a U.S. manufacturing company in establishing a joint venture in Chenai, India.
- Represented the selling shareholders in a $55 million sale of a California meat and seafood distribution business to a public company strategic acquirer/competitor.
- Represented a pre-clinical medical device start-up company in the issuance of $18 million Series B preferred stock.
- Represented selling shareholders in a $100 million transaction involving a specialty packaging company. The company was a portfolio company of a private equity fund.
- Assisted a U.S. manufacturing company in establishing an equity joint venture in Zhuhai, People's Republic of China, with a Chinese manufacturing company. U.S. manufacturing company is majority owned by a U.S. private equity fund.
- Represented a target NASDAQ company in an $80 million friendly two-step tax free merger transaction (the first phase of which was an all stock exchange offer) resulting in the target becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of a NYSE company. The majority shareholder of the target company was a private equity fund.
- Advising directors of a public company on their duties as company enters "zone of insolvency" and working with that company to develop and to implement an extensive restructuring plan which will include significant business unit divestitures.
- Represented management in a management buy-out of a $50+ million in revenue subsidiary of a public company. Purchaser was a private equity fund.
- $70 million refinancing and leveraged acquisition of a pharmaceutical plant.
- Acquisition of a $12 million in revenue bankrupt company. Transaction was an add-on acquisition for a company controlled by a private equity fund.
- Represented institutional purchaser of $13 million of participating preferred stock issued in conjunction with a management buy-out of a health care services company.
- Sale of a $13 million in revenue family owned business to a long-time competitor. President of seller also became an 8.5% shareholder in purchaser. Purchaser was controlled by a private equity fund.
- Purchase of a financially distressed chemical company (approximately $35 million in revenues) located on a U.S. EPA Superfund site. Purchaser controlled by a private equity fund.
- On behalf of a private equity fund, successfully completed a $23.5 million management buy-out of a financially distressed, heavy manufacturing company.
- Acquisition of a $25 million in revenue division of a public company that included eight plants in seven different states. This transaction established a new portfolio company for a private equity fund.
- $55 million acquisition of a portfolio company consisting of two manufacturing plants and related businesses.
- $19.5 million add-on acquisition of Mexican manufacturing company. This transaction was an add-on acquisition for a portfolio company controlled by a private equity fund.
- Represented start-up medical device company in $1.5 million of first round angel financing.
- $19 million add-on acquisition of manufacturing company for a company controlled by a private equity fund.
- $11.6 million leveraged acquisition for a private equity fund.
- Rule 144A offering of $120 million of 10 1/8% senior subordinated notes to fund acquisition and to re-finance existing debt for a company controlled by a private equity fund.
- Represented an Internet company in connection with the issuance of $15 million of senior, participating preferred stock to a venture capital fund.
- Represented the seller in a $32 million sale transaction of its U.S., India and China Turbocharger manufacturing business. The sale included the seller's interest in two joint ventures.
- Represented a private equity fund buyer in the $47 million asset acquisition of a coating business that included seven plants in four states.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Banking Law)
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 Cleveland Financial Services Regulation Law Lawyer of the Year
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyer by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine for more than 10 years
- American Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- George W. Codrington Foundation, chairman
September 16, 2013