Gregory D. Chafee
Greg is a partner in the Corporate Transactions & Securities Practice and the Energy Group . He is also Co-Chair of the Water Group. Greg’s practice covers a wide range of domestic and international corporate, commercial, transactional, regulatory compliance and governance matters, with a focus on energy project development, clean technology, and sustainability programs, policies and initiatives.
Greg represents public and private companies in purchase and sale transactions, raising funds through equity and debt financing, and structuring business relationships including partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances. His practice involves corporate finance and capital formation, technology licensing and transfer, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and representing owners, investors, entrepreneurs and established and early-stage companies.
Greg provides strategic advice and counsel to project developers, owners, operators, lenders, private equity and venture capital investors, , suppliers and services providers on financing, including debt and equity offerings, operations and transactions involving conventional and renewable energy. He has negotiated and structured complex transactions involving electrical power generation, transmission and distribution, petroleum, natural gas and LNG production, transmission and distribution and the generation of energy from biomass and biofuels, solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, waste-to-energy and other renewable resources. Greg acts as general counsel to clients for commercial matters including corporate formation and governance, regulatory compliance and risk management.
Greg represents clients in the negotiation of power purchase agreements (PPAs), utility interconnection contracts and engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) and operations and maintenance (O&M) agreements. He provides guidance on carbon emissions trading and renewable energy credits. Greg also counsels on matters related to energy efficiency, sustainable development , the utilization of green technologies and compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations, including the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA), the Public Utility Holding Company Act of 1935 (PUHCA), and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) rulings.
Greg previously served as the first Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of DS Waters of America and Danone Waters of North America, and associate general counsel for Georgia-Pacific Corporation, representing market leading consumer products brands worldwide. He has extensive experience with project development in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
- Counseled on the development, financing and operation of utility scale solar, wind, biomass and geothermal projects, including business formation and organization, funding and regulatory authorizations, renewable energy credits (RECs), carbon emission reduction contracts and transmission access.
- Counseled on the negotiation of the first utility scale solar power purchase agreements in the State of Georgia.
- Advised developers of an innovative system for processing and converting landfill gas into natural gas capable of local energy generation or resale, including obtaining seed financing for research, development and product commercialization.
- Represented a bio refinery company with advanced technology for converting algae and biomass into fuels.
- Advised a natural gas power plant operator and a hydropower developer on site authorizations, state and local regulatory proceeding and transactional matters.
- Counseled on structuring a multinational joint venture for a biomass-fueled power plant, including financing and regulatory approvals.
- Advised a wind power developer on drafting and negotiating key transactional agreements, including site acquisition, engineering and equipment contracts.
- Counseled an advanced hydrogen on demand (HOD) clean technology company on start-up financing, organization, intellectual property protection and general commercial matters.
- Counseled on the development, financing and commercial use of energy-saving construction technologies, including transformational use of batteries and fuel cells.
- Advised on a multistage combined solar and wind farm project, including capitalization, Series A preferred stock financing and all corporate and regulatory matters.
- Represented a private equity fund in an initial preferred stock investment in a high-efficiency solar photovoltaic manufacturing company.
- Represented a wind project developer in raising investment capital, negotiating customer contracts and purchasing technology and equipment.
- Represented the manufacturer of flexible, solid-state lithium batteries in senior debt financing and convertible subordinated debt financing.
- Advised a Northeast hydropower developer on the reopening and operation of a municipal hydroelectric plant.
- Counseled a multinational consumer products manufacturer on the non-recourse project financing of an industrial waste to energy facility, including the amended and restated bond purchase and guaranty term loan facility.
- Advised a utility holding company on the acquisition of geothermal assets in the Southwest.
- Greenhouse Accelerator Acceleration Interactive Crowdfunding Program, Moderator and Panelist
- Renewable Energy Financing Workshop, Moderator
- Cleantech Open Southeast Business Clinic, Moderator and Presenter
- Seminar Group “Financing Renewable Energy” Conference, Co-Host
- International Clean Energy Conference, “Natural Gas: Understanding Its Opportunities and Rapid Rise in Importance”, Panelist
- Seminar Group Webinar, “Renewable Energy: PPA Ancillary Agreements for Renewable Energy Resources,” Co-Presenter
- International Biomass Conference & Expo, “Opening & Growing Overseas Pellets Markets Sustainably,” Panelist
- Seminar Group 3rd Annual Solar Power Projects Southeast Conference Panelist
- Greenprints Expo 2012, Panelist
- Renewable Energy Developments in the Southeast, Panelist
- Federal and State Incentives for Biomass Project Development, Panelist
- Sustainability Spotlight: Strategies, Solutions, Risks & Opportunities, Host and Panelist
- Dollars & Sense: “Financing Green Projects Today,” Host and Panelist
- Energy to the 10th Power: “Top Ten Tips for Results,” Panelist
- PLI Solar Summit, “Siting and Permitting,” Panelist
- France-America Renewable Energy Forum, Moderator and Panelist
- ACORE Southeast Summit, “Renewable Energy,” Panelist
- TAG Smart Grid, “Recent Developments in Energy Legislation,” Panelist
- Elemental Impact Clean Tech and Sustainability Roundtable Series, Host and Panelist
- Northeast Offshore Wind Forum, Panelist
- Sustainability Roundtable, “Wind Energy Development in the Southeast,” Moderator and Panelist
Thompson Hine Adds Corporate and Energy Partner Gregory Chafee - Firm Expands Energy Practice to Atlanta Office
November 15, 2012