Thompson Hine has extensive experience representing developers and investors in structuring, negotiating and forming real estate funds and joint ventures to develop and own real estate projects. The breadth of our tax, ERISA, private equity, corporate and real estate experience enables us to effectively represent a broad array of clients in connection with the formation, structuring, acquisition and disposition of real estate joint ventures. Our clients in the joint venture arena consist of private equity funds, public and private REITs, tax-exempt organizations, other institutional investors and major developers. We have extensive experience with virtually every asset class of real estate joint ventures in both development and investment transactions.
- Represented a major investment bank in the formation of a joint venture multifamily investment fund with institutional investor (“Fund”) with an initial capitalization of $200 million to invest in regional joint ventures for leveraged transactions to acquire and/or develop multifamily projects nationwide. Also closed the formation of three regional ventures (East Coast, West Coast/Pacific Northwest and Southeast) and continued to represent the Fund and each of the ventures in the acquisition and leveraging of 10 multifamily project transactions in seven states (two of which were construction transactions, with leveraged values for each transaction ranging between $15 million and $40 million) through portfolio and securitized financing.
- Represented a REIT in formation of joint venture and $270 million acquisition and financing of an office building in Florida with secured financing by syndication of lenders.
- Represented a REIT in formation of joint venture, acquisition and financing of a $40 million retail center in Florida and later dissolution and disposition of same.
- Represented a wireless company in formation of joint venture to acquire (and later dispose of) wireless network involving over 6,000 towers in California and New York.
- Represented a joint venture partner in negotiation of development agreement and management agreement for $120 million mixed-use riverfront project.
- Represented a global real estate advisory firm in a series of multifamily housing investments for joint ventures comprised of institutional investor and developer.
- Represented a pension fund in the acquisition from and the joint venture with a hotel operator of, and the related $122 million mortgage financing for, eight hotels in California, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas and Virginia.
- Represented a pension fund in the acquisition from and the joint venture with a private real estate company of, and the related $29 million mortgage loan and the related $2.5 million mezzanine loan for, a 401-unit apartment project in Chicago.
- Represented a joint venture between a developer and a state pension fund in structuring a project investment for a $320 million mixed-use development and subsequent recapitalization and joint venture with a public REIT.
- Assisted with representation and structuring of a joint venture between a developer, a pension fund and a public REIT for project investment in the acquisition and $200 million redevelopment of a significant retail center.
- Represented a major investment house in a $200 million opportunity fund joint venture with a large real estate institutional investor, as well as representation of the joint venture in an expected $1 billion of direct project investments through subsidiary joint ventures with regional developers.
- Represented a joint venture of real estate lenders in formation of a U.S. real estate fund and a Cayman feeder fund.
- Represented a developer in structuring and negotiating a joint venture arrangement with a major retailer for an out-parcel development program, where the retailer would grant approval for development inside restricted areas in exchange for a share of sale proceeds or rent.
- Represented a developer in the formation of a joint venture to develop shopping centers in Virginia, Kentucky and Maryland.
- Represented a developer in the formation of a joint venture to develop a mixed-use retail, residential and office project in Ohio.
- Represented a joint venture comprised of an international lodging firm and an entrepreneur in the redevelopment of a hotel and conference center in Moscow.
- Represented a joint venture composed of a major international property developer and an investor in the development of a common premises building for an international organization in Zaire.
- Represented a developer in a joint venture transaction involving a 300-acre recreational development in Ontario, Canada.