Thompson Hine Named “Ohio Litigation Firm of the Year” by Benchmark Litigation Two Years in a Row
Date: February 16, 2016
Publication: Thompson Hine LLP
Thompson Hine LLP is pleased to announce it has been recognized by Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation as its Firm of the Year in Ohio for the second consecutive year. The publication also recommended the firm in Georgia and Washington, D.C.
“Thompson Hine distinguishes itself in Ohio with its strong bench of litigators and its unique, award-winning SmartPaTH® program, which focuses on delivering value and efficiency for clients,” said Jonathan McReynolds, publisher of Benchmark Litigation. “It is rare that we select a firm as Firm of the Year for two years in a row. Thompson Hine has set a high bar for firms engaging in litigation.”
According to one of the Thompson Hine clients interviewed by Euromoney in its survey, “Thompson Hine brings more quality to bear in business litigation. The firm’s internal communication and coordination is superior to the other firms as well. The firm’s lawyers not only have excellent litigation and trial skills, but they are highly intelligent and savvy, they manage the cases efficiently (including costs) and effectively, and they all provide ongoing strategy and practical advice needed to obtain the best resolutions.”
In addition, 18 lawyers from Thompson Hine were recently selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation 2016. The guide’s rankings are the culmination of a six-month research period that included extensive interviews with corporate clients hiring lawyers to handle their litigation. Benchmark Litigation is the only publication on the market to focus exclusively on litigation in the United States.
“We are proud of the successes we continue to achieve for our clients,” said Deborah Z. Read, Thompson Hine’s managing partner. “They rely on us to address their most important business challenges and achieve meaningful results. As we deliver these results, we focus on managing litigation costs, aligning results with our clients’ business objectives and staffing the right talent at the right cost.”
Highlights of recent national litigation successes include:
- Defeating class certification in a putative class action involving allegedly defective decking material.
- Serving as national counsel in vinyl chloride litigation for many of the largest chemical companies and their trade association in a significant number of wrongful death claims.
- Obtaining a jury verdict awarding compensatory damages, punitive damages and a permanent injunction against a former employee relating to a breach of duty of loyalty and violation of the terms of a noncompetition agreement.
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order and ultimately a permanent injunction (in a case of first impression), preventing an operator of a camera-equipped drone from filming a major regional public attraction.
- Defeating class certification in a putative class action involving allegations of overcharging for medical record reproduction services.
- Successfully representing financial institutions and mortgage servicers in more than 25 appellate cases in the U.S. Sixth Circuit and Ohio District Courts of Appeal, and achieving victory in two cases before the Ohio Supreme Court, Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Horn and SRMOF 2009-1 Trust v. Lewis.
- Obtaining a jury verdict in favor of a construction manager in a multimillion-dollar litigation involving the construction of a luxury high-rise condominium building.
- Obtaining a defense verdict at trial in a wrongful death action on behalf of an aircraft engine component manufacturer.
- Serving as lead trial counsel for dozens of ship owners in the trial phase of multidistrict litigation.
- Defending a large chemical company in a mass action with over 400 plaintiffs arising out of alleged environmental exposure.