Thompson Hine Named "Ohio Litigation Firm of the Year" by Benchmark Litigation
Date: February 04, 2015
Publication: Thompson Hine LLP
CLEVELAND – February 4, 2015 – Thompson Hine LLP is pleased to announce it has been recognized by Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation as its Firm of the Year in Ohio. The publication also recommended the firm in Georgia and Washington, D.C.
According to one of the Thompson Hine clients interviewed by Euromoney in its survey, “Thompson Hine brings more quality to bear in business litigation. The firm’s internal communication and coordination is superior to the other firms as well. The firm’s lawyers not only have excellent litigation and trial skills, but they are highly intelligent and savvy, they manage the cases efficiently (including costs) and effectively, and they all provide ongoing strategy and practical advice needed to obtain the best resolutions.”
In addition, 17 lawyers from Thompson Hine were recently selected for inclusion in Benchmark Litigation 2015. The firm had more lawyers recognized in the guide than any other firm in Ohio. The guide’s rankings are the culmination of a six-month research period that included extensive interviews with corporate clients hiring lawyers to handle their litigation. Benchmark Litigation is the only publication on the market to focus exclusively on litigation in the United States. Also, in September 2014 the firm was recognized by the BTI Consulting Group as a “Standout” in Complex Commercial Litigation and Employment Litigation, ranking among the top 18 law firms in the country for Securities and Finance Litigation and among the top 22 law firms in the country for Product Liability Litigation.
“We are proud of the successes we continue to achieve for our clients,” said Deborah Read, Thompson Hine’s managing partner. “They rely on us to address their most important business challenges and deliver meaningful results. We focus on delivering success without losing sight of the need to manage litigation costs, align results with our clients’ business objectives, and staff our litigation efficiently.”
Highlights of recent national litigation successes include:
- Obtaining dismissal of three shareholder derivative and class action complaints challenging the fairness of a $2.5 billion merger transaction on behalf of a publicly traded company’s board.
- Defeating class certification in a proposed $40 million class action on behalf of bondholders of a bankrupt mortgage company.
- Serving as national counsel in vinyl chloride litigation for many of the largest chemical companies and their trade association in a significant number of wrongful death claims.
- Securing an extremely favorable settlement for a food supplements manufacturer in litigation alleging contamination.
- Defending a large chemical company in a mass action with over 400 plaintiffs arising out of alleged environmental exposure.
- Representing a client in a significant putative class action arising out of environmental contamination in a client’s former chromium operations.
- Successfully representing Bank of America in Bank of Am., N.A. v. Kuchta, a case that has been referred to as one of the top decisions in the Ohio Supreme Court for 2014.
- Obtaining a defense verdict on behalf of a manufacturer in a product liability action involving an airplane crash.
- Obtaining an injunction in a case concerning distribution of medical devices to prevent a former employee from working for a direct competitor in accordance with the terms of a non-compete agreement.
- Obtaining dismissals in thousands of cases on behalf of shipowners defendants in multi-district maritime litigation.
About Thompson Hine LLP. Thompson Hine LLP, established in 1911, is a full-service business law firm with approximately 400 lawyers in 7 offices. Thompson Hine is ranked as one of the top 5 firms in the country for overall Client Service Excellence and one of the top 4 firms for “Value for the Dollar” and “Commitment to Help” in an independent survey of over 300 in-house counsel. For the second straight year, the firm is ranked in all categories of Service Delivery Innovation, and is one of only 7 U.S. firms noted for “making changes to improve the client experience,” in the BTI Brand Elite. The firm’s commitment to innovation is exemplified by Thompson Hine SmartPaTHSM, which offers a smarter way to work – predictable, efficient and aligned with client goals. Key components of SmartPaTH include Legal Project Management, Value-Based Pricing, Flexible Staffing and Process Efficiency. Rated a leading law firm in Chambers USA for 12 consecutive years, Thompson Hine serves premier businesses worldwide. For more information, please visit www.ThompsonHine.com and read about SmartPaTH at http://www.ThompsonHine.com/about/SmartPaTH.