The Legal 500 U.S. Recognizes Several Thompson Hine Practices, Lawyers
Firm’s Construction, Corporate, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Investment Management and Real Estate Practices Receive National Acclaim
Date: August 22, 2017
Publication: Thompson Hine LLP
Thompson Hine LLP is pleased to announce its inclusion in the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 United States, a directory of client- and peer-recommended firms, practices and lawyers used by clients throughout the country to guide their selection of lawyers and law firms. Published for almost 30 years, The Legal 500 series provides information and opinions about firms and lawyers across the globe based on interviews with lawyers and representatives from client companies. Five of the firm’s practices and 23 lawyers are recommended, as listed below.
In addition, the publication’s “Leading Lawyers” listings, which recognize outstanding lawyers nationwide in each practice category, hail Jeffrey Appelbaum, Construction practice chair, and Frank Chaiken, chair of the Corporate Transactions & Securities practice, among a handful of the country’s leading lawyers for construction and middle-market M&A work, respectively.
The firm’s Construction practice earns acclaim for being “flexible and innovative,” with “a remarkably high level of skill, experience and performance.” Appelbaum, ranked as one of the top 23 construction lawyers in the United States, is called an “excellent communicator,” and partners Alan Ritchie and Patrick Sweeney are also mentioned by name. The publication notes that the group has “a track record in public projects in social infrastructure and real estate, including PPPs, and has worked on major stadium, university and research center constructions.”
Clients’ praise for the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice indicates that the team is “fast and accurate” and “excellent to do business with.” Laura Ryan, practice group leader, and partner Kim Wilcoxon are noted for their work on clients’ 401(k) and group health plans. One client rates Wilcoxon as “by far the best ERISA attorney.” Partners Julia Love and Karen Youngstrom are called out for counseling clients on 409A and ACA compliance.
The publication observes that the Investment Management practice’s “wide-ranging expertise includes advising on fund acquisitions and SEC regulatory matters.” Partner JoAnn Strasser and counsel Tanya Goins are noted for advising on ETF registration, and partner Michael Wible is cited for providing guidance on inter-fund lending.
Clients commenting on the firm’s middle-market M&A practice say that the group’s “response times, business acumen and value for money are great.” The practice also earns praise for its “overall high levels of service, which exceed expectations.” Chaiken is ranked as one of the top 20 middle-market M&A lawyers in the United States, and several other members of the group are highlighted for their work on a variety of sophisticated M&A transactions, including partners John Cottingham, Garrett Evers, Tony Kuhel, David Neuhardt and Todd Schild. One client notes that Evers “delivers solid counsel; he is measured, provides insights based on his broad experience and is someone clients can count on.” Another client describes Cottingham as a lawyer who “really understands deals from a business perspective, has a great grasp of numbers and immediately knows how a seemingly minor change in one area could adversely impact another.” Partners Thomas Aldrich and Jim Balthaser also receive high marks.
Lawyers in the firm’s Real Estate practice, lauded for being “courteous, professional and deep in their expertise,” are noted for successfully completing a wide variety of substantial transactions across the United States in 2016, including major portfolio property acquisitions and development deals. Partner James Aronoff is cited for his role in a $2 billion portfolio purchase, called “a standout deal,” as well as his work involving REITs and leasing transactions. Partner Robyn Minter Smyers is hailed as a “key player on the team” for handling significant acquisitions and dispositions across the country. Partner Linda Striefsky is singled out for debt-finance work, and partner Jonathan Olick receives mention for expanding the firm’s finance practice in New York.
In addition to the practice rankings, 23 Thompson Hine lawyers are recommended by name:
- Thomas A. Aldrich (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Jeffrey R. Appelbaum (Construction)
- James B. Aronoff (Real Estate)
- Jim Balthaser (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Frank D. Chaiken (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- John D. Cottingham (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Thomas J. Coyne (Real Estate)
- Garrett D. Evers (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Tanya L. Goins (Investment Management)
- Tony Kuhel (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Julia Ann Love (Labor and employment – Employee benefits and executive compensation)
- David A. Neuhardt (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Jonathan A. Olick (Real Estate)
- Alan S. Ritchie (Construction)
- Laura A. Ryan (Labor and employment – Employee benefits and executive compensation)
- Todd M. Schild (M&A: Middle-Market (sub-$500m))
- Robyn Minter Smyers (Real Estate)
- JoAnn M. Strasser (Investment Management)
- Linda A. Striefsky (Real Estate)
- Patrick J. Sweeney (Construction)
- Michael V. Wible (Investment Management)
- Kim Wilcoxon (Labor and employment – Employee benefits and executive compensation)
- Karen D. Youngstrom (Labor and employment – Employee benefits and executive compensation)