Devin is a member of the firm's Environmental practice group. He focuses his practice on environmental counseling in business, regulatory and legislative matters; environmental enforcement actions; and compliance with environmental regulations. His specific areas of concentration include Superfund matters; air and water pollution control issues; compliance counseling for hazardous waste; toxic torts; land use matters; and federal, state and local permits and licenses.
In his first two years of practice at Thompson Hine, Devin was also a member of Thompson Hine's Corporate Group where he focused his practice on merger and acquisitions, including negotiating and drafting transactional documents and due diligence review. Prior to joining Thompson Hine, Devin served as a legal intern at Cinergy Corporation, prior to and during its merger with Duke Energy, assisting in legal matters involving federal and state energy regulations, environmental matters and general corporate litigation.
Devin is admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio.
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2006, I/S: A Journal for Law and Policy for the Information Society, Senior Editor, 2005-2006
- Miami University, B.S., 2003
- Counseled large industrial client on transactional, regulatory and government funding issues relating to client's purchase and installation of a commercial wind turbine at its facility.
- Counseled clients on funding for renewable energy projects and contaminated site cleanups under the Stimulus Act and related state programs.
- Counseled clients on greenhouse gas reporting requirements and related climate change legislation.
- Assisted in the resolution of transactional disputes relating to breaches of environmental representations and warranties.
- Counseled industrial clients on various environmental compliance and permitting issues under CAA, CWA, RCRA, TSCA, EPCRA, FIFRA, DOT regulations and state environmental laws.
- Counseled clients on underground storage tank liability and regulatory compliance issues.
- Assisted in the defense and negotiation of remedies for clients identified as potentially responsible parties at CERCLA and state equivalent contaminated sites.
- Assisted in the defense and negotiation of settlements for clients facing penalties under CAA, RCRA, EPCRA, CWA and FIFRA.
- Counseled clients on property transfer regulatory compliance, particularly in the states of Connecticut and New Jersey.
- Lead and assisted in various stock and asset transactions, including, negotiation of purchase agreement language and environmental representations, due diligence on triggered environmental reporting obligations and general diligence involving environmental and transportation permit transfers.
- Counseled clients on facility closure requirements, particularly in the state of Ohio.
- Assisted clients in the performance of EHS audits at facilities and the resolution or disclosure of findings resulting from the same.
- Counseled clients on federal and state spill reporting requirements.
- Assisted clients in the development and drafting of solid waste disposal and recycling arrangements.
Professional & Civic Involvement
American Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: Treasurer/Secretary of Environmental Section
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association: Green Initiative Committee Chair
Ohio State Bar Association: Environmental Section Member
Thompson Hine Diversity & Inclusion Initiative
Thompson Hine Green Team Initiative Member
Thompson Hine Climate Change and Sustainable Business Solutions Group
Thompson Hine Green Products Group
- DOE Aggressively Enforcing Energy Efficiency Certification Requirements · TH Client Alert, 2010
- Anderson's Ohio Environmental Law Practice Manual · Contributing Author, 2009 - 2011 Editions
- EPA Issues Green House Gas Endangerment Finding, Scrap, December, 2009
- Green Peer Pressure-Trendy or Troublesome · CMBA Bar Journal, 2009
- EPA Air Monitoring Leads to Concerns and Litigation · TH Client Alert, 2009
- ARRA Funds for Eligible UST Cleanup Projects · TH Client Alert, 2009
- EPA Proposes Mandatory GHG Reporting Rule · TH Client Alert, 2009
- HIPAA : A Year in Review 1 ISJLP 2, 2006
- "The Earth's Not the Only Thing Heating Up: Climate Change Developments", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Environmental Symposium, November 2010
- CALI Award for Excellence in Public Utilities Law
- 2005 Outstanding Student Note for I/S: A Journal for Law and Policy for the Information Society