Robert is counsel in the Construction practice group. His practice focuses on representing owners, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, construction managers, construction product manufacturers, and other construction professionals in lawsuits, mediations, and arbitrations arising out of public and private construction projects. Robert also has experience in product liability and general business/commercial litigation matters.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif, Case Western Reserve Law Review, Executive Notes Editor
- University of Detroit Mercy, B.A., 1998, summa cum laude, History and Political Science
- Represented vinyl wall covering manufacturer in defense of various lawsuits alleging construction defect, product liability, and breach of warranty claims stemming from the growth of mold in hotels and nursing homes in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of construction manager in litigation and mediation arising out of 100 million dollar college dormitory and parking garage project in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Represented construction manager in litigation and mediation arising out of claims on 100 million dollar school renovation project in New Hampshire.
- Obtained award in favor of general contractor in arbitration arising out of a public housing project in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Secured dismissal of claims against scrap metal supplier in Portage County, Ohio.
- Represented owner in litigation and arbitration of claims arising out of the design and construction of a polymer plant in Marietta, Ohio.
- Defended telephone company against lawsuit arising out of the installation of underground cable in Conneaut, Ohio.
- Defended tunneling contractor in federal lawsuit involving issues resulting from an allegedly defective tunnel boring machine.
- Represented engineering company in matter arising out of construction of sewer tunnels in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
- Represented hotel owner in mediation of claims arising out of two multi-million dollar hotel renovation projects in Florida.
- Defended large engineering company against lawsuit arising out of the design and construction of a residential apartment complex in Trumbull County, Ohio.
- Prosecuted lawsuit on behalf of flooring contractor against supplier of flooring material and adhesive in United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of engineering company in litigation arising out of design and construction of an ice hockey facility in Parma, Ohio.
- Defended engineering company in litigation arising out of water infiltration at condominium complex in Vermilion, Ohio.
- Represented various contractors and design professionals in federal bid protests.
- Represented banks in prosecution of foreclosure lawsuits in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
- Represented law firm in defense of class action lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois arising out of alleged violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of manufacturer of brake grinding equipment in asbestos litigation in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
- Acting pro bono, represented criminal defendant in successful habeas corpus appeal, which included oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Represents owners, contractors, construction managers, architects, engineers, and other construction professionals in various other lawsuits, mediations, and arbitrations.
- Advises construction professionals on various contract, claim avoidance, and claim prosecution issues.
Professional & Civic Involvement
American Bar Association
American Bar Association's Forum on the Construction Industry
Ohio State Bar Association
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
PlayhouseSquare Partners, Executive Board Member; Co-Vice-Chair 2012-2013; Co-Chair of Education Committee 2011-2012; Co-Chair of Membership Committee 2010-2011
- Ohio Construction Law Manual (Baldwin’s Ohio Practice 2009): Chapter 4 Changes and Claims; Chapter 6 Differing Site Conditions
- Rising Steel Prices and Commercial Impracticability: Do Fixed-Price Construction Contracts Need Fixing?, Ohio Code News, March/April 2004
- Preventing the Tail from Wagging the Dog: Why Apprendi's Bark is Worse than Its Bite, 52 Case W. Res. L. Rev. 599, Winter 2001
- Presenter, “The Masters Institute on Ohio Construction Law . . . Tools for Success”, November 16, 2010
- Presenter, 2009 and 2010 Construction Industry Hot Topics Update: Prevailing Wage
- Presenter, Lorman Seminar, "AIA Contracts 2007 and Beyond", May 14, 2009
- Selected as a Rising Star in Construction Litigation by Ohio Super Lawyers magazine in 2009-2013
- Best Brief, 2001 Dunmore Moot Court Competition, Case Western Reserve University School of Law