Michael J. Zimmer focuses his practice on natural gas and electricity regulation, energy issues, corporate acquisitions and project finance transactions. He has been involved in mergers, acquisitions, construction and project financing assignments in the power generation, renewables, natural gas and electric, cogeneration and independent power, energy and emissions trading, and manufacturing industries. These transactions have included acquisitions, debt restructuring or project financing for some of the largest undertakings in the United States in these industries, with a composite value exceeding $14 billion.
With more than 35 years of legal service, Mike has worked with domestic and international companies, gas and electric utilities and their unregulated subsidiaries, advanced energy technology and industrial companies, energy project developers, construction companies, trade associations, financial institutions and energy technology funds, universities and embassies in more than 35 states and 20 countries. His work has centered during his career on industry challenges including shale energy, renewable energy, distributed generation, energy infrastructure, public private partnerships, air emissions and GHG management, LNG and energy efficiency.
He has advised the Cogeneration and Independent Power Coalition, Clean Coal Coalition, Natural Gas Vehicles Coalition, American Council on Renewable Energy, Industrial Energy Consumers of America, Ohio Fuel Cell Coalition, Ohio Manufacturers' Association and Aluminum Association of America on a wide range of energy, carbon management, capital formation and advanced energy technology issues. He has also provided counsel to the USGBC, ASTM, Capital Markets Partnership, Green Standard, Americans for Community Development, and Biomass Coordinating Council on renewables, finance, green buildings and resilience issues over the past decade. Mike has represented clients before the U.S. Department of Energy, FERC, SEC, EPA, congressional committees, various federal departments and agencies, and state commissions and agencies on electric energy, renewable energy, natural gas and energy tax proposals. In Ohio, he has focused on issues related to state energy policy, greenhouse gas emissions policy, manufacturing and energy management, GHG reporting, shale energy supply chain and production, energy efficiency , and water and food production.
In addition to receiving his J.D. and B.A. degrees, Mike attended courses at Brown University in 1970 and Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management in 2002.
Mike is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1975, cum laude
- Providence College, B.A., 1971, Political Science; cum laude, President's Council (2002 – 2011), Advisory Council to School of Business (2009 - 2012)
Provided upon request.
Professional & Civic Involvement
Power Generating, Inc. (1992 - 1996); (2003 - 2004)
Federal Strategies, Inc. (1987 - 1989)
Caterpillar Capital, Inc. (1986 - 1988)
Sphere E LLC (2011 - )
American Bar Association (1975 - 1996; 2003 - Current)
American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE); Advisory Committee to President and Board of Directors (2002 - 2006); Leadership Council (2008 -Current)
Ohio Fuel Cell Coalition (2006 - 2009)
Americans for Community Development - Legal Advisor (2010 - )
LEED EA TAG Committee of U.S. Green Building Council (2005 -2009)
ASTM, Legal Subcommittee on Building Energy Performance Standard (2009 - 2011)
Energy Bar Association (EBA); Chairman (1980 - Current); Chairman, EBA Cogeneration and Small Power Production Committee (1986 - 1987); Co-Chairman, EBA Energy Project Finance Committee (2011 - 2012)
Capital Markers Partnership Green Building Underwriting Committee; Advisor and Commentator (2008 - 2011)
District of Columbia Bar Association (1975 - Current)
Independent Private Infrastructure Association (IPIA); Co-Chair (2004 2006)
Mid-Atlantic Independent Power Producers (1984 1990)
Independent Power Producers of New York (1982 - 1990)
Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition (1988 - 1990); led alternative fuel industry development for NGVs
United States Export Council for Renewable Energy (USECRE) (1986 - 1990)
Energy Michigan (1982 - 1989)
Clean Coal Coalition (1984 - 1988); General Counsel; led seminal efforts to establish public policy recognition of clean coal technologies
Cogeneration and Independent Power Coalition of America, Inc. (CIPCA); President (1982 - 1985); General Counsel (1982 - 1988); led seminal efforts to establish the cogeneration, renewables and independent power generation industry in the United States
American Cogeneration Association (1980 - 1988)
American Gas Association (1977 - 1988)
Midwest Gas Association (1977 - 1986)
National Academy of Sciences, Committee on District Heating (1984)
American Council for Capital Formation (1977 - 1980)
Chair of the National Advisory Board for the Consortium of Energy, Economics and the Environment of the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs at Ohio University (2006 - )
Executive in Residence, Voinovich School (on matters related to energy, economics and the environment) (2006 - )
Editorial Advisory Board of Forester Media's publication, Distributed Energy: The Journal of Energy Efficiency & Reliability
Mike has authored numerous articles and books, and servedas the editor of various publications throughout his career.
- "The Fundamentals of Green Leasing," Co-author · BNA's Environmental Due Diligence Guide, 2011
- "Access to Funding and Expertise Through ESCOS: Energy and Environmental Finance Alternatives," Author · ABA Energy and Resources Committees Newsletter, March 2011
- "Cogeneration and Independent Power Production," Co-Author · Energy Law Transactions, 2010
- Contributor · Sustainability Law Review, American University, 2007 - 2009
- Contributor · Public Utilities Fortnightly, 2004 – Present
- Contributing Editor · Electric Light and Power, 1999 – Present
- Contributing Editor · Independent Energy, 1986 – 1996
Mike has been a noted national lecturer on energy issues since 1978.
- Ohio Energy Summit, Ohio University and Ohio Energy Report, Columbus
- GMCI, Green Building Summit, New York – co-chair
- Wall Street Green Energy Summit – keynote speaker, 2012 – 2013
- Webinars with American Bar Association, ACORE, Bloomberg-BNA, and Congressional Quarterly on energy, environmental and infrastructure topics
- Guest lecturer – Virginia Polytechnic Institute, University of Wisconsin, American University, Ohio University and Georgetown University
- Invited speaker – New York Society of Security Analysts, American Gas Association, Edison Electric Institute, Harvard University Kennedy School Energy Policy Center, National Association of Regulated Utility Commissioners (NARUC), NARUC Biennial Regulatory Conference, Ohio Manufacturers' Association, Southeastern Electric Exchange, Conference Board of Canada, IBM Utility Executives Conference, IPP Forum, Williamsburg Public Utilities Conference, Council of Industrial Boiler Owners, Association of College Physical Plant Administrators, New York Bar Association – Public Utility Section, Infocast Green Building Summit and Green Building Finance and Investment Forum, Ohio UCEAO Conferences
- Advisory board member - programs of McGraw-Hill, International Business Forum, Financial Times, Euromoney, Exnet and Bloomberg on energy and related financing issues
- Named a 2012 top rated lawyer in energy, environmental and natural resources law by The American Lawyer/Corporate Counsel
- Named in Who’s Who in America (2002, 2003 editions)
- Recognized in Who’s Who Legal (2002, 2005 editions)
- Named as one of the leading project finance counsel in the world by Law Business Research (2003, 2007)
- Recognized by Euromoney in its World’s Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers directory (1997)
- Recognized as one of the top leaders of the IPP industry at the 25th anniversary of Independent Energy magazine (1996)
- Chosen by industry peers as an Industry All-Star by Independent Energy magazine (1993)
- Named to nationwide Who’s Who in Energy (1990), ranked as one of the top 75 lawyers of the more than 10,000 energy and public utility lawyers nationwide
- Ground Breaking Lawyer Award, Public Utilities Fortnightly (2009)