John is a partner in the firm's Corporate Transactions & Securities and Health Care practice groups. John's health care practice consists of representation of a wide array of health care providers, which include community hospitals, management service organizations, physician hospital organizations, home health agencies, long term care facilities and physician practice corporations. He advises clients on topics including compliance, formation/sale/merger of medical groups, hospital-physician contracting, joint ventures, federal and state anti-kickback and anti-referral laws and regulations, managed care contracting and patient care, risk management and professional liability issues.
Prior to joining Thompson Hine, John was a partner and chair of the Health Care Practice Group at a business law firm in Dayton, Ohio. Before entering private practice in 1998, John was Vice President (Operations Group) and Legal Compliance Officer at Omnicare, Inc. in Cincinnati. Prior to Omnicare he served as Secretary, Vice President (Legal Services) and General Counsel at Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton.
- Ohio Northern University, J.D., 1981
- Alma College, B.A., 1977, dual major in History and Business Administration
- Due diligence analysis, transaction document review and preparation as well as post-closing issue remediation involving the sale of acute care institutions, ancillary service providers and related entities.
- Responsibility for creation and implementation of joint operating company resulting in formation of an integrated regional healthcare system with assets valued in excess of several hundred million dollars.
- Counsel for hospital-physician imaging joint venture and its acquisition of other imaging companies with concurrent resolution of regulatory compliance matters involving the Anti-kickback and Stark Statutes.
- Review and analysis of regulatory changes to insurance company billing rules and resultant impact on hospital, for profit company and physician joint venture entity which provides laboratory services.
- Review and analysis of compliance issues encountered in due diligence process relative to sale and divestiture of ownership interests of a kidney dialysis provider.
- Compliance review concerning physician-hospital owned ambulatory surgical center activities implicating the Anti-kickback Statutes and other regulatory requirements.
- Extensive experience in representation of both institutions and physicians regarding current industry activity involving sale, merger and acquisition of specialty physician entities.
Professional & Civic Involvement
American Health Lawyers Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Adjunct Professor, Central Michigan University, Extended Degree Program
Wright Memorial Public Library · Trustee
South Community, Inc. · Trustee
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Health Care Law, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell · AV Rated, Health Care