SmarTrade 2017 – Atlanta
Date: November 01, 2017
Time: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. EDT
Contact: Stacy Weiner, 202.263.4184 - Stacy.Weiner@ThompsonHine.com
Please join us for SmarTrade 2017, a complimentary, informative and interactive workshop focusing on risks and opportunities in the regulation of global trade. The workshop format provides a unique opportunity to discuss industry best practices and common compliance pitfalls with experts in the field and your peers. We will discuss the compliance and enforcement arena for imports and exports and suggest ways to manage your company’s exposure. We will also address anti-bribery regulations and associated compliance challenges and solutions. In addition, we will provide practical tips for dealing with the increase in government investigations relating to global trade transactions. Finally, we will discuss the current administration’s focus on international trade and its impact on U.S. businesses.
- Avoiding inadvertent violations of U.S. export controls or economic sanctions
- Ensuring compliance with anti-bribery laws, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the U.K. Bribery Act
- Staying ahead of Customs enforcement, and using knowledge of Customs regulations to reduce costs and audit risks
- Assessing and managing the risks of trade regulatory violations including civil and criminal penalties
- Preparing your company for government investigations, audits and verifications
- Conducting internal investigations and submitting voluntary/prior disclosures
- Understanding the roles that OFAC (Treasury), BIS (Commerce), DDTC (State), CBP (Homeland Security), DOJ (Justice) and other departments play in the export/import regulatory and enforcement process
- Assessing individual liability in government enforcement investigations
- Keeping pace with changes in U.S. economic sanctions affecting trade with countries such as Russia, Cuba, Iran and North Korea
1:00 – 1:30 p.m.
1:30 – 5:00 p.m.
Please plan to stay after the program for our monthly Wednesday Wine reception, where you can continue the conversation and enjoy premium cocktails and hors d’oeuvres with other area professionals.
Two Alliance Center
3560 Lenox Road NE
Our Atlanta office is within walking distance of MARTA's Buckhead Station via the Red Line (North Springs).
Who Should Attend
General counsel, counsel responsible for regulatory issues, chief operating officers, compliance officers and managers.
To register, please contact
Stacy Weiner, Stacy.Weiner@ThompsonHine.com, 202.263.4184
CLE for this program will be requested.