At Thompson Hine, we firmly believe that your success is our success so we place a high
priority on the integration of our laterals. We have created a formal, and very thorough,
lateral integration process to meet our goal of ensuring that all of the necessary steps
are taken to support and expand a new lateral's practice, while at the same time making
them feel like a valued member of the partnership.
We are proud of our process, which has received national recognition. According to a
recent survey of lateral partners, Lateral Partner Satisfaction: A Decade of Perspective,
Thompson Hine ranks fourth in the country (among firms of 500 lawyers or less) both in
general satisfaction and in integration effectiveness.
Our successful Integration process includes:
- A customized integration plan created for each new lateral partner focusing on:
- Logistics – ensuring a smooth transition to our Firm so that client service can continue without interruption,
including client transfer assistance, establishing files and billing records, filing necessary paperwork, etc.
- A structured orientation process designed to create a seamless operational and functional transition.
- Staff resources available to support the process.
- Strategic trips to other offices providing formal introduction to key lawyers, including the individuals
that you will practice with, as well as Client Service Team Leaders and Practice Group Leaders.
- Practice – identifying service opportunities for the current client base of a lateral lawyer as well as providing
access to current Firm clients who may benefit from the services that the can provide.
- Networking with others in the Firm with similar backgrounds and clients.
- An opportunity to be introduced to clients of the Firm while providing you with the necessary resources to introduce
the Firm's lawyers to your clients.
- Lateral Spotlights in print and in person to showcase your experience.
- Understanding the vision and goals of your practice group and how your practice can support and be supported by these goals.
- Culture – providing an atmosphere of congeniality and trust in the workplace to foster internal relationships
as the lateral assimilates into the Firm and the community.
- Welcome events.
- Ongoing support and involvement of the lateral's Practice Group Leader and the Executive Committee.
- An introduction to the Firm and its culture, including its Client Service Pledge.
- Encouragement and support to become involved in Firm committees, events, etc.
Bruce G. Hopkins
I came to Thompson Hine from a 'sole practitioner'-type format. Thompson Hine's team focused first on my relationships with my clients, understanding that client experience in my transition was crucial. I was provided ample staff so that, from the start, my clients experienced better capability and better service, with work of continued high quality. Thompson Hine developed a detailed integration plan specific to me and my clients, and had several staff members regularly follow up. Document systems, billing, and staffing were in place from the first week. Thompson Hine also identified specific additional practice areas that would be logical for my clients. My practice at Thompson Hine depends on using lawyers from several different cities on a regular basis, and the culture emphasizes a 'one firm' approach, making this an excellent ongoing experience for my clients and increasing their confidence in our depth. Since I've joined Thompson Hine, my practice has grown significantly, reflecting my clients' experience that capacity is greater than before, and quality and service are better than ever.